Gibsob 335 hunt (and musings)...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gregc, Jul 16, 2019.

1. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

I decided I needed a 335 (never owned one, but always loved them).
    I played a Studio, Figured Top, and a plain dot, back to back to back on Sunday. The 2017 figured top was 'wow' lQQking, but had a lacquer irregularity (defect) on the top, front upper horn and there was something odd with the neck where you could not get the action below .004 without fretting out, even with .012 relief in the neck. Believe me, I played with it for hours. I was OK with that action, but it was at its limit there, and compiled with the finish flaw, and some rough neck binding, I finally decided to rule it out. It was a GC piece and I actually had it home for 2 days. Oh well. It went back cleaner, freshly strung, and better playing than it left.
    I wanted to like the red 2017 (or was it an 18?) Studio I saw in Sam Ash. I really did. Sadly, I felt like I was playing a mediocre import. Neck, frets, feel, tone, just not up to par, not to mention $2k (though they would let go for $1799).
    The 2019 glossy finished, regular, antique faded red, dot neck was a winner, absolutely, and it so came home with me. Expertly finished frets, a properly cut nut, and a good neck angle so the tail piece and bridge sit low and the neck can be dialed in almost dead straight. I think, with Gibson, it pays to demo a lot, and look very closely at the details.
    BTW, the figured had a burstbucker 1/2 set, with titanium saddles and some fancy split coil switching with the 2 volume pots, and something else one tone pot pull switch did (some series-parallel wiring scheme or other?) There was nothing exciting to me in all the extra gimmick tones I'd likely never use. I didn't actually notice the pots were push-pull till I went to pull the knobs off to clean up, LOL. At the time I was like 'wtf'?
    The studio had Classic 57's which are among my favorite Gibson pickups (had them in 2 Johnny A guitars and loved them), but apparently not here.
    The plain dot selected has MHS II pups and plated brass saddles. The pups sound good and very, very similar to the b'buckers in the figured top guitar I played.
    That's all for now. I know, I need to post a pic~ maybe tonight~

jens5, Oriondk, Jeff_G and 2 others like this.
  2. Someotherguy

Someotherguy Member

Thank's. Keep it coming. I've pretty much decided I need to have one too, and am learning everything I can. Sadly, in this city of 275K, there is not a single 335 to be found in a brick and mortar store...

3. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

I live in a city of a million, and you barely ever see them in person (when you do, it's real slim pickings). The internet is the only reason I have a couple killer 335's.

4. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

One primary thing test for is any dead/dull spots on the fretboard (i.e. notes that do not ring because of resonance issues).

gregc likes this.
  5. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

6. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

Good point, Terry, and thanks for bringing this up. Be sure to play every note, on every string, checking for weak/dead spots!

7. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist

I didn't read anything because you misspelled authentic.

[​IMG]

~ss

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Da Geezer, PLX, VooDooClown and 2 others like this.
  8. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Congratulations on finding a good 335.
    They are not that easy to find a good one, but it is worth the effort, when you do discover one.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  9. romiso

romiso Silver Supporting Member

Very nice! I concur with your opinion that while '57 Classics are excellent pickups, I don't like the way they sound in a 335.

10. Someotherguy

Someotherguy Member

Very nice. Congrats! Is there a consensus on what pickup's *should* be looked for to get that iconic 335 wail?

11. JWhite

JWhite Member

I doubt you’ll get a concensus lol. I have 57 classics on my Historic and I love them.

12. skipburz

skipburz Member

I have played 335s for 40 years. I have never played one in a Guitar Center that was set up correctly or played well. I've become a bit obsessed with going into GCs any time I'm traveling to play the couple they might have hanging there. How hard would it be to straighten the necks and set the action?

About four years ago, I found a 2012 dot neck in an acoustic guitar shop of all places for $1,800. I play it everyday and gig with it weekly. My original '67 hardly leaves its case. The good ones are out there. Don't feel like you have to go with a reissue or a "figured". There were plenty of good production guitars made in Memphis. Yes, the fit and finish can be a spotty at times. A little overspray here and there, binding that wasn't cleaned properly, nuts not cut properly, etc. It's part of the charm!

Concerning the Studio, I've only played four or five and they all feel cheap to me and have no tone.

John F likes this.
  13. mobius

mobius Member

Sorry you may be the greatest tech on earth, but I cringe at the thought of some random dude taking a guitar home, f$cking with the setup, “cleaning it” and returning it for the next person to buy new.

14. skipburz

skipburz Member

Gotta defend "gregc" here. Over the past 40-years, every guitar I've ever brought home (or now, bought online) to try out I've set up as soon as I walked in the door. It would be like test driving a car without putting the seats and mirrors where you want them. How could you ever know if this is the guitar for you? You've got to work pretty hard to screw up a guitar by lowering or raising the action, putting on your favorite gauge strings, or by giving the truss rod a 1/4 turn in either direction to straighten or put a little bow in the neck. Of course, you wouldn't go cutting the nut or shimming the neck, but a basic set-up is just that...basic. You don't need to be "the greatest tech on earth." You just need to have a little knowledge, or even just an internet connection so you can watch a YouTube or StewMac video. (And be sure to wrap your metal tools in tape so you don't scratch the chrome!)

TA22GT, steam boat, Bopcat and 2 others like this.
  15. mobius

mobius Member

No, I don’t think that’s right. You can take a demo car for a test drive, but once the customer takes delivery of the actual car they bought, can they do a tune up, change the tires, “clean it” and then return it for a refund?

Where can I buy a car like that?

16. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

The sales kid @ GC offered to do exactly what I did (more or less, but who knows). Should I have let him do it? I've been doing it for at least twice as long as he has been taking breaths. It's not rocket science.

17. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Right. Although I’m having a hard time agreeing with anything you write purely because that avatar is staring me in the face..!

18. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

The best 335 I’ve played, an ‘01 Historic with Classic 57s, has a line of local pros who’ve played it and want to buy it. Not for sale, sorry.:cool:

The VOS models I’ve played also outstanding (‘12-14).

The ‘15 VOS in the Emporium is fairly priced imo, they’re a good deal now imo.

19. mobius

mobius Member

OK sure. But would you want to know if some kid bought a guitar, cranked the truss rod, drenched the fretboard in oil, put a ton of polish on the finish, and then returned it for a full refund?

Personally if the store is selling me the guitar with a history I would rather know so I can elect to buy another guitar. In my book, that guitar is a used guitar. YMMV but I would only pay used guitar prices for it.

20. skipburz

skipburz Member

Last response from me because this has drifted from the OP. To stick with the analogy, we're not talking about changing pickups or pots. We're talking about getting a guitar in the mail from CME or GC, or taking one home from the store that has a return policy and doing an adjustment. Hell, I've taken guitars to the counter in the store and asked for a screw driver so I could adjust a saddle.
    Every VOS I've played or read about gets two thumbs up. I think that's one they seem to get right most of the time....But, man, the price!