Gibson 135 with P-100s LOVE?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Loni Specter, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

I'm waiting for an on-line purchase to arrive and I wonder how I'm gonna like those P-100s. I have a set of Lollar P-90s waiting just in case. Anybody have one of these guitars and what do you like or hate about them in general?
    Mines all black with the trapeeze tailpiece. To Bigsby or not to Bigsby?

2. SFK

SFK Member

Love? Yes
    Bigsby? Yes!
    P 100s? Aren't completely without use but you'll be liking it better wih the Lollars.

[​IMG]

3. dunara

dunara Member

My 135 has humbuckers, so I don't know about the P100s; although a friend has a LP Special with P100s and they sound good to me on that guitar.
    Bigsby? Definitely! First thing I did on mine, and I've never looked back.
    A wee tip if you're going with the Bigsby; fit Graph Tech string saver bridge saddles - they're self-lubricating and pretty much remove the bridge from the tuning-stability equation. A bit of 'nut sauce' in the nut slots and you're good to twang!:AOK

4. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I didn't like the P-100's in mine, they aren't horrible but they just seem to have a generic humbucker sound to me. I bought the guitar with the idea of putting a set of P-90's in it. I went with a set of Fralins, stock bridge and a -15% neck, it's a great combo. No Bigsby yet, I think I'm going to buy an ES-355 to cover that need. :D

5. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Excellent guys! About the Bigsby. I have one without the 2nd roller bar, that goes straight from the one bar to the bridge. Do I need the down pressure that the 2nd roller gives it?

6. dunara

dunara Member

Loni
    In fitting a Bigsby to a 135, there's a long string travel between the trem and the bridge, so anything that increases the string's angle of attack on the bridge saddles is welcome - also, a B6 type with no string bar will look a bit wierd, given that distance. The B7's roller bar has no apparent effect on tuning stability in my experience.
    Incidently, the B70 is cheaper, and of slightly better build quality than the B7 - I've fitted and used both.

BTW, I love your lapsteels - been thinking about a redneck for a while...

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Heck yeah! I've got a 96 ES-135 w/P-100s. Fantastic and absolutely amazing guitar! Hands down one of my favorites in my collection. P-100s get a bad rap. I think they are great sounding pickups! I've been tempted a couple times to put P-90s in it (I'm a P-90 junkie) but, everytime I plug it - the guitar puts a big smile on my face. Just a wonderful guitar!

Here's a couple bad pic of mine! (I'm not the best photographer!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

I've got my eye on one of these.........really nice.

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Congrats Loni -

I'm not really a fan of the P-100's, though they might sound better in a semi-hollow. I bet you'll end up w/ the Lollars in that guitar, and I bet you'll love it.

Have fun, Dana O.

10. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Hey Loni,

I have a black one with P100's with stock Grovers. I love it. BUT, I have been thinking about putting a set of Lollar Sean Costello wound P90's.

Bigsby!!!! I have one just waiting to go on mine.

11. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Dunara Thanks for the complement on the RedNecks.

And I'm drooling for the 135 more than ever thanks to all of you. Funny thing is I had a chance to grab one right after they first came out for $600. and didn't pull the trigger. I finally get to dig one.
    Hey I like P-90's a lot too. Let's see now. I have a Custom hardtail strat with 3-P90s, a PRS singlecut with them, a '74 Gibson LP special (wraparound bridge}, a tele lapsteel with two P=90s, a B&V Woodworks LP Special, a Gibson GEM Studio LP (Ruby) and a Harmos lapsteel, oh yea, a '54 Gibson double 8 console steel. I think I'm just about done....maybe.:rotflmao