Gibson 1958, 1963, 1969 ES-335 VOS

Kswilson89

Hi

I recently played a Gibson 1958 ES-335 VOS which I thought was fantastic. I then played a 2016 standard ES-335 and thought the neck was extremely thin. Does anyone know whether the 1963 and 1969 re-issues have neck shapes more akin to the 1958 model or the current 2016 ES-335? I prefer the looks of both the 1963 and 1969 re-issues but love the 1958 neck shape.

Thanks

theanalogdream

Silver Supporting Member
When you say the 58 shaped neck, do you mean like an R8? Super chunky? In the gibson's I've played from that era, and from a few builders, I've found that the reissue's have a waaaay bigger neck than anything I've tried.

Kswilson89

When you say the 58 shaped neck, do you mean like an R8? Super chunky? In the gibson's I've played from that era, and from a few builders, I've found that the reissue's have a waaaay bigger neck than anything I've tried.
I've never actually played an R8, just the 1958 ES-335 Vos... it was pretty chunky!

kidtwist

I have a '63 reissue (2013 I think). It's neck is not as slim as the ones on the standard 335's I've tried. I have never tried a '58 reissue 335 so I can't say how it compares with that.

tapeworm

I recently bought a Gibson Memphis 1964 ES-345TDC Figured and absolutely love the neck carve. It's definitely got a lot more size to it than I expected and I am glad. Much fatter than the 50's neck on my LP Standard Faded. It starts off pretty tame at the nut but by the 12th fret it's BEEFY.

archtop

I have played the anniversary '58 and own the '59. Both necks are big from the nut all the way up. The '58 is big and round like my R6 Les Paul. The '59 is big but with a more V to C profile.

Anything from '60 on is gonna be a variation of slim in comparison.

hotslaw

High Maintenance Fuss budget
Gold Supporting Member
I recently bought a Gibson Memphis 1964 ES-345TDC Figured and absolutely love the neck carve. It's definitely got a lot more size to it than I expected and I am glad. Much fatter than the 50's neck on my LP Standard Faded. It starts off pretty tame at the nut but by the 12th fret it's BEEFY.
I also recently bought a 1964 ES-345TDC to go with my 63 es-335 reissue and my es-330 59 reissue.
I know. I have re-"issues". HA!
Anyways I'm with tapeworm regarding the neck. The 63 isn't slim but the 64 is slightly heftier and comfortable as hell. With the 11/16 nut it just feels natural. I notice the taper more on the 63.
The 330 is way chunkier with less taper. Doesn't feel nearly as wide even though nut width is same. Can't really compare with the xx5's because she has way thinner frets. Comfortable for me to play but different. I love them all. I don't know if this helps the OP' but that's what I got.

I wasn't aware of a 69 reissue. I would imagine it would have a skinny neck with a smaller nut if it's accurate. I had a 70 or 71 ES-335 years ago and I don't miss it.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
In '63, the necks got bigger again. So not thin like '60-'62. But not quite as fat as the '58.
+1. This is my experience, too. My 63 Wildwood Spec feels very similar to my R9.

bibir

Never heard about 1969 reissue until today. When did gibson release this? A smaller nut width? Yummy. For my small hands it suits better..

C-4

Go to Wildwood guitars and the 335 section under Gibson Memphis.
The models and neck thicknesses are shown with the guitar. That will give you a very good idea of what is what on each model.

Trending Topics