1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Gibson 1958 VOS Plain Top

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by michaelprice83, Aug 13, 2006.

1. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

2. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

...as a VOS, it is plek'd. The cost difference is the top - '59s/'60s have flame, whole the '58s are plaintops.

With tone and oneness, Mike

3. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

The VOS series are PLEK'D.

The reason the 58 is less expensive than the 59 or 60 is primarily the plain top.
    IMHO, the 58 is the best buy of all Gibson Historics. (my 05 R8 is a great Les Paul and fit and finish are superb).

These guitars are available in a non VOS (ie. gloss finish) for a few hundred more.

Shop around for the best deal and good luck with your purchase[​IMG].

4. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

is $2799 out the door (no sales tax or shipping) a good deal?

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

No! You can get them for around $2300. Try Wildwood Guitars, Center City Music in San Diego or some of the other non-Musician's Friend, Music123 or Guitar Center stores.

6. Rich

Rich Member

Also, the bodies on the 59s are lighter than the other Historics. I have the beakdown someplace I think. Will post if I find.

7. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I actually got one and sent it back. While it played well, I was apalled at the fact that the binding was not even scraped in the lower bout and other attention to detail finish issues.

8. Rich

Rich Member

Found the spec weights.

R9 or R0--- 8 lbs or less
    R8--- 9 lbs or less
    GT--- 9.6 lbs or less
    Bs--- 10.6 lbs or less

These are for the bodies only. Add neck profile, which is the other difference besides the top/finish (smallest is the '60, then '59, 58/57/54 all bigger), and the hardware.

9. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Most of the R8 are around 9.3 lbs. The prices went up on these but you can still find a few in stock for $2350.

Great guitars.

10. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Great choice! :AOK I am kicking myself as we speak about not picking one up :(

I got a 20% off coupon for anything in the store at GC and was all set to buy one. I had been reading a lot about recording and was really interested in it and decided to purchase a bunch of recording gear. Now I'm wishing I would have bought the guitar. There is a lot more to recording than I thought :)

They were about $2,475 at GC so I could have gotten one for around $2000 :( I would definitely recommend getting one, but I too would look for a better price. Good luck! :dude

11. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I only WISH they made a plaintop model with a slim neck. I dont care about the flametop, but I can't do the gigantic neck on the 58 or 57's.

12. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

what the hell are you guys talking about better prices? everyone else has em for $2999 like musiciansfriend music 123 at 2799 has the lowest price i could find. please give me a link to a lower price........ Besides, the big boys have price match guarantee's which they do follow through on from my experiences. Please help me out with a link.

13. todd richman

14. todd richman

One other thing. Those stores will email you lots of pics, weights, etc-they are not allowed to post them on the sites thanks to a deal with GC. Rumor has it that GC bailed Gibson out of some financial problems and that is why the whole internet stores being not allowed to have pics started in 204 or 05.

15. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

so basically my issue here is i was planning on using my music123 card. i guess it would be impossible to get a price match from an unadvertised price huh?

16. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Online stores do indeed have pics of specific guitars they have for sale. Some, not all but some. Sweetwater and privatereserveguitars.com to name a couple.......

17. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Relax brother! There are ALMOST always better prices and bargains to be had than MF etc.

18. Rich

Rich Member

michael

Seems like you're not getting the drift here.

With the exception of the once-in-a-while-true-blowouts, the big chains/mail orders (one in the same with MF & GC) have the WORST prices on nearly everything. And very frequently the most beat up gear and the worst service.

BTW, privatereserve is MF.

19. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

well aware of private reserve being MF........ what are you trying to say?And I'm also well aware of the high pricing....... my point, is that music123.com had the guitar priced 200 dollars less than some of the others, MF included. So I thought perhaps on this one guitar they weren't asking a top dollar. I guess there may be better deals out there, now my question is whether I can get some sort of formal quote that I can then relay to musicians friend and get a price match....... I'll contact the sources I was given and see what I can do. Thanks guys.

20. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Supporting Member

If you have to use a MF card, then just call them and tell them the price that you can get at other stores. It'll work most of the time.