Gibson 2015 End-of-Year Sales

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kashmir Oceania, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Kashmir Oceania

Kashmir Oceania Supporting Member

Forgive me father for I have sinned; I must confess. I like the 2015 Gibsons...

Yes I know, the tuners don't really work well, and the new Les Paul signature and hologram are kind of hokey. But I like the overall construction quality and, though it may be heresy to say so, the wider nut.

Alright, enough with my theatrics :roll. I have been gassing for a 2015 Les Paul Traditional. I like the Ocean Blue finish, lack of chambering, and wider nut since I play with my thumb on the back of the neck. Now I do think Gibson really shot themselves in the foot with the tuners but that's something I can change.

I saw the recent thread about the Gibson husks sold by the Stratosphere and that got me thinking. I could spend $1.5k and buy a husk and buy all the hardware necessary for another ~$400 and have the exact Gibson I want. Or I can wait until the end of the year and see what the blowout prices are.

From what I've seen at my local GC's and everything I've read, no one can move the 2015 Gibsons. So at the end of the year I'm suspecting huge discounts but how much? I don't know.

I'm in no hurry for a Les Paul, I'm more than happy to wait 8+ months in order to get the better price.

2. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Yeah, I would think that if you like the '15s and you have the patience, you will be duly rewarded come year's end.

3. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

The Traditionals are great guitars. I have a 2012, and then I also have an R6, R8, and R9. If I got in a place where money was tight, the Trad is the one I'd keep, laminated board and all.

4. Kashmir Oceania

One of the great things about the 2015 Trads is that they have a solid board!

Based on past end of year sales prices does any have an estimation regarding how much a 2015 Les Paul Traditional will be going for?:huh

5. airportbar

airportbar Member

I don't think there was any big Gibson blowout at the end of 2014, but in 2013 I remember places like Sweetwater and AMS knocking the Trads down to the $1300-1600 range.

That said, with the Gibson price hike that came in 2014 I don't expect this year's blowout to reach those low levels in price, if there is even a blowout like before.

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Actually, other that the sig and the tuners, I like them a lot. The wide fretboard and the zero fret nut are cool IMHO. Maybe a 2016.

7. TowMater

TowMater Member

For me it's just the sig and the mini-me.

8. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

If they discount them 50%, the prices will almost be back to last year's...

9. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

My take is, with Gibson making some major changes on May 1, that there won't be a ton of "leftover" 2015 guitars around.

10. Kashmir Oceania

What's happening on May 1?

11. Flugel

Flugel Member

Could you elaborate on that?:eeks

12. PW214

PW214 Member

Supposedly the dealers got the new prices for the custom shop and they go in effect on May 1st. The Historic line is supposed to be moved "down" to the Standards and prices all go up 29%...or more...limited Custom guitars being made and their prices are around 10K. I'm not sure if that is list price or customer price. It's bad.

(this is a different price hike from the beginning of the year one...it's a line re-organizaiton and a price hike for the upper models, from what I understand)

13. Flugel

Flugel Member

Another price increase?WTF?

14. PW214

PW214 Member

I believe this one is just for the Historics and Custom shop guitars...I could be wrong. Dealers aren't supposed to be specific until the prices come out on May first.

15. Johnny2013

Johnny2013 Member

I wish i liked the wide neck, i think there will be some good deals

16. Evan_R

Evan_R Member

I didn't think I'd like the 2015 Gibsons either until I played a TV Yellow Special and it came home with me a few hours later. Plays and sounds awesome and is flawless. I don't like the logo or hologram but the nut and tuners have been a big surprise. Fresh strings and some nut lube and the tuning system works perfectly.