Gibson 2015. Give me a quick overview?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by metropolis_4, May 3, 2015.

1. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I keep hearing all these gripes about Gibson's 2015 lineup, but I haven't really read through the threads or looked at the catalog. Anyone want to give me a quick high level overview of what's going on? I see the tuners and some sparkly finished backs.

2. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

3. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Read through the "new and improved" features on this page:
    http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

The biggest changes are the wider necks, the adjustable zero fret nut, the Les Paul signature logo looking like it was scrawled in gold crayon, and having the GForce tuners as standard, and not an option. Of course the prices were all jacked up as well. These changes apply to the Les Paul and SG line mainly.

The G-Force tuning system whacks out on people sooner or later and they've been having a problems with the strings cutting into the brass on those nuts and Gibson having to come up with a replacement.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/119648-the-new-zero-nut-pinging-and-cutting-groves/

Basically they took "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" (well apart from maybe better cut nuts and tighter QC) and went in the direction of "Fix it 'til its broke" and raise the price.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  4. JPF

JPF Member

and you get a Minime hologram too

5. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Interesting. It seems like Gibson doesn't know it's market very well... Sort of sounds like some of what Fender did in the late 90's with the Am Deluxe Strat having the LSR nut, abalone logo, and locking bridge. Didn't work so well for Fender so I'm not sure why Gibson would expect any better.

6. John C

John C Supporting Member

Well that might be apples to oranges, since the American Deluxe series is still going strong. And by the time that series came out in 1998 they had made the decision to only put the LSR nut on the HSS model, and they made the locking trem an option for HSS model. The locking trem option went away about 7 years ago, but the HSS versions still have the LSR nut.

However Fender had other series - you could get the American Vintage if you wanted the Leo-era specs, or you could get an American Standard if you wanted some modern features but not everything. They didn't force it onto every model in the lineup like Gibson USA did.

The issue with the 2015 Gibson USA models is that all the "modernizations" were applied to every model. The G-Force tuner system can be easily removed if you don't want it. The logo/hologram are minor cosmetic issues to some, dealbreakers to others. For me the dealbreaker is the wider neck; I just don't care for it. But some people will like it. The price increase was about 10% for most models, but the Les Paul Standard model jumped 29%. In 2014 Gibson had at least 2 LP Standards - one with a pretty plain top, the other with a "premium" top - the 2015 is a small price increase over the 2014 "premium top" model but it's top isn't as nice (but more figured than the 2014 "regular" Standard).

If you move to the semi-hollowbody Gibson Memphis models did not get those changes, but they did change some things - specifically the neck shape which is actually a tad narrower than they were in 2014. But no G-Force robo-tuners, changes from '57 Classic pickups to Burstbucker pickups, and a few other things. Not nearly as radical a change as the LPs and SGs from Gibson USA; probably the most radical change is the move to the 60s-style small blocks on the ES-335s and ES-339s. Roughly a 10% price increase, like most of the Gibson USA models.

Based on the posts I've seen, it appears the Gibson Historics are going be split into 2 series - on is the "most accurate ever", will be done as limited runs, and will have a huge price increase over the previous models. The other series will be closer to the previous series and will also have a price increase.

7. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Apart from the locking bridge, most of those changes on the Fenders were well received. The LSR nut is still in use. I don't recall any abalone logos, just fret marker dots.

8. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Oh yeah, you're right. I've just noticed Fender tried all these upgrades to the strat for a while, and now they've done away with most of that.

9. John C

John C Supporting Member

Fender doesn't go "all in" with really "new" stuff any more. For example, they've had these models called the "American Deluxe Strat Plus" (and SSS model and an HSS model) that have wiring cards you put in the back of the body - so you can change from standard modern Strat wiring to the G&L-style treble roll-off/bass roll-off, or on the SSS model you can change to a master tone and a blender pot. Fender introduced these at the January 2014 NAMM show.

But as far as I can tell Fender hasn't done a run of these since they changed over to "US15xxxxxx" serial numbers around February/March - and probably did the runs back in early 2014.

10. stratter

stratter Member

Basically, prices went up around 17%, a new nut that can really help your action, but kills sustain (my opinion) and it looks bad. I would've considered one if it didn't have that god awful headstock decal.

11. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

I've only played one. Have to say that the G-Force tuners worked perfectly straight away. A lot of people may hate them but they could potentially make sense if you like using open tunings.

12. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I do not play Gibsons but with the weekly bashing threads (really getting stale) I guarantee the company will still do well over 300 million in business.They have kicked up their quality control the last few years which was becoming a decade old joke and then do these crazy futuristic specs that their hardcore consumer base seems to hate=I don't get it! I am all for trying to bring new technology to the electric guitar (in subtle ways) and if the G-Force tuning system was guaranteed to work perfect for as long as the guitar I would be all for it. But I honestly can't think of anything that runs on electric current not to one day malfunction or up and die. I have read of guys who love it and those who loathe it, so why didn't they just make it an option? The same with the neck change? Guys who have been playing Les Pauls and SG's for 20-50 years and are used to specific necks now only get one option that they never even played before? I also think the 'Zero Fret' looks kind of cheap and serves no purpose, the Signature and Hologram I think too many guys are making into too big a deal as the Hologram is on the back of the neck and the signature you can take anyway you want, but calling those two deal breakers is bordering on the extreme. If Gibson die hards are really that upset it will show in how well the guitars sell! If sales go on the decline this year to the point they feel it, you can guarantee changes will be made next year.

13. kselbee

kselbee Member

They also made the frets shorter citing better playability and bending but not sure I get that.

14. Leif Johan

Leif Johan Member

Shite guitars... What happended to the amazing 2011/12/13 lineup?
    The only way to buy a proper gibson these days are to go with the Historics models.

15. jlb32

jlb32 Member

Gibsons biggest problem with 2015 is they didn't offer many options for those that don't want the changes. It's like they thought forcing the changes down consumers throats would work and it hasn't.

I've heard they have only sold 30% of the 2015 USA models they have produced. Sales have tanked with the changes and price hikes. Due to that I've heard there have been some layoffs. Hopefully this will all change for 2016 and they will start offering the models that consumers want.

16. Johnny2013

Johnny2013 Member

Guitar Centers around me pretty much aren't displaying the 2015s anymore, except for models like the Derek Trucks SG without the crazy features

17. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Do your homework. There are plenty of threads to weed through, so I'm not sure how weeding through another with your name on it is any better.

18. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Consolidation of information? Why try to dig through all the past posts and threads that might contain info when I could just ask if anyone would be willing to give me a quick run-down? :dunno

19. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I played a half dozen of the new ones while looking for a jr. The tuning pegs worked once out of the 6 guitars I tried, one was so bad I stopped trying out a pedal because of it. When they were in tune, they were great playing and sounding guitars. Dealers I've spoke with heard it so much they were willing to go50% off the price of new tuners with a sale of the guitar. In the end, I went with a 2000 model because I wasn't sure of resale value if I didn't like it.

20. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

What is it about the tuners that's so bad? Is it possible to just use them like normal tuners?