Gibson 3 on a strip VOS tuners

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by mkolesa@mac.com, Feb 9, 2008.

1. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

Hi,
    I've got a VOS 1960 LP Special that I'm doing some upgrades on... I've already got an RS vintage electronics set, Fralin P-90's, and Pigtail studs and wrap tailpiece. Needless to say, the guitar is really starting to sing! But one area I'm still not satisfied with is the tuning and tuning issues. I know I've got to have some work done on the nut because it's binding the strings (I'm getting that 'ping' when I tune up and it probably hasn't helped that the guitar came with 9's and I have 10's on it now). It probably makes sense to have a new nut cut (probably unbleached bone or tusq), but I'm also wondering if the quality of the Gibby 3 on a strip tuners it came with could be improved. I just noticed that Gotoh makes a direct replacement:
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/33WHITE.jpg
    So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these, especially with how they relate to the standard Gibson 'Deluxe' marked tuners...
    Thanks!

2. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

The period/guitar correct tuners are good quality and should work fine.

Fix that pinging nut and you'll be in business.

I carry this cheap set with me wherever I go.

[​IMG]

3. wilder

wilder Supporting Member

Those tuners are fine. They are gibson labeled, but made by Gotoh.

4. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

Thanks for the advice... I had suspicions that the Gibson tuners were made by Gotoh. But looking at the photo, the Gotoh replacement tuners do seem to have a different cap over the back of the tuner than what Gibson uses so I thought they may be 'better' in some way (higher ratio or batter internal parts). Anyway, thanks again.

5. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

I used a set of the Gotoh Tone Pros on one of my recent "makeovers" I do. Here is a Dillion LP JR after the headstock mod which used them. They install right in and hold tune perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]