Gibson 335 VS Gibson 339

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jefrobie, Dec 19, 2009.

1. jefrobie

jefrobie Supporting Member

Anyone played/owned both that likes the 335 better? Reason I ask is that 339 owners are always comparing the 339 to 335. I've owned a couple of 339's...Love em...Never owned or really played a 335 and kind of wondering if I'm missing something there...Is the 335 the "benchmark" that I need to check out? Let er fly....:stir

2. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

I prefer my 335. I have an R9, and to my ear, the 339 sounds more like a Les Paul, and the 335 sounds like .. well, a 335! That was the thinking going in.. being able to cover different sonic ground, but now.. the 335 just rocks. Period..

[​IMG]

3. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I have one of each
    the 335 sounds the best of these three for sure.
    in fact, the 339 sounds most like a semi hollow. the 335 is the one that sound like the |in between| guitar. Perhaps just the luck of the draw. My 335 is one of the ery earliest Dot RI's (mid year 81) the 339 is a 2008 and my LP Standard is a 1997. All are great instruments, they all sound differrent, but all have that Gibson thing going on. 335 is definately the best over all in terms of sound and feel.

I got lucky with all these instruments, or so it would seem to all the people that complain about Gibson QC. I really have no complaints on any of them.
    [​IMG]

4. surfshack

surfshack Member

i never played a 339 , but i have a 336 and 335, the 336 sounds like a cross between a LP and a smaller 335. the 339 is more constructed to be closer sounding to a 335.
    the 335 is hard to beat , it's got a bigger , open sound/feel.
    i'd say go for a 335 first.

5. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I think a 339 sounds most like a mmmm...wait for it, yeah a 339. It's constructed like a 335, but smaller, so how could it sound like a 335. It's a hollow body, so how could it sound like a Les Paul. It was never ment to sound like either one.
    I was in the market for a hollow body guitar when the 339 came out. This guitar filled that void that I was looking for. To me it has that acoustic tone I was searching for that the solid bodies just don't have. There's nothing lacking that I think a 335 would have over the 339.
    It truly is an amazing guitar in its own right. Great build and price.
    [​IMG]

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

my 335 had more air...openess and chime than the 339 I demo'd...the 339 I demo'd was about 75% LesPaul and the rest 335...

great tone for sure with this wonderful on the edge of exploding feedback but certainly not the openess or air of a proper 335...

when I can no longer sling my LesPaul I will more certainly get a 339...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

I agree it is at a great price point and a good build and the 336 even sounds more like an LP to my ear.. but the smaller body of the 339 to me takes away more from the 335 sound and moves it to the LP sound.. lets see, big center block, less "air" on either side, less "sound board" type effect... so "to me" with the "ones I played" (enough caveats?) that's what I felt. Not trying to start any holy wars.. they all sound somewhat different as you would expect, but I originally got them to put as much sonic territory as possible between them, and the LP ---- 335 did that without going full hollowbody.

I also have a nice 54 reissue masterbuilt strat, and a Collings 290 with Lollar p90's, so that covers yet more ground... now if I could only learn to play worth a damn! :banana

8. Kappy

Kappy Member

Prefer the 335 I have to the 339 I had (and sold). 339 was definitely a cool guitar that had a great sound. But it can't compare to the 335 if you're looking for that "woodier" 335 tone. The bridge pup sound on the 335 is also hard to beat.

9. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I don't have my Gibson 335 anymore, but I did keep an Ibanez AS80 over it, and I still have that. I really like this guitar and my 339, but they're a little different. As many have said, the 339 seems closer to an LP than a 335. The 335 type guitars seem to have a little more air/woody tone to it. This really comes through when you play clean.

I'm more of a Fender guy, but the 339 seems to really fit my style very well. It's the first Gibson I've become fond of in a long time.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have a 339 and Guild Starfire IV. The full size semi-hollows are too big and weigh too much for me, so the Guild is going to Texas soon.

11. hank

hank Member

I've had a nice 335 USA in vintage blonde. Sweet sounding but the necks are tiny for me. When the 339's came out I acquired a few over time and settled on a vintage sunburst w/ '59 neck profile.

Which is better? I like the sounds of both. I just prefer the smaller body and girth of the neck on the 339's. You can't go wrong with either.

12. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

My 339 plays and sounds much better than my old '71 335 did, but the 335 had more coolness factor/mojo - had block inlays and the trapeze, plus it was weathered and looked it had fought many a battle over the years. I really miss it now, but at the time I sold it, I wasn't feeling as positive towards it (mainly because it had tuning issues due to an old, repaired crack in the headstock and the electronics were on the fritz - I could have easily fixed the latter, but the tuning issues were there for good).

I do really want to get another 335 - I think they complement the 339's nicely.

13. Blues Rocker

Blues Rocker Member

I owned a 339 for a while, and I now own a 335. Does that answer the question?

If you have no sentimental or historical reason to own the 335, I would have no hesitation to buy the 339. Just don't think it's almost a 335 or LP for less. It has it's own tone, which I cannot relate to coming from the rock era of the '60's and '70's in which I grew up. Doesn't mean it isn't a good guitar or doesn't sound good, it's just not my sound. On the other hand, it is a very, very good value.

14. Luke V

Luke V Member

I've always had at least one 335 since '78. I have 2 335's now and a 339. The 339 is my number 1. I love the fat 59 neck. It is a great great guitar for classic rock. I love the stock electronics.

15. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

339s seem to have an abnormally high defect rate from what I've seen. My guess is that there is some short-circuiting of the quality control down the line from the 335. The retail pricing reflects this IMO.

16. jefrobie

jefrobie Supporting Member

I've had two of them, currently a 59 neck/Carmelburst. At least with mine the quality has been top notch. I've been thinking of a Johnny A, but it would be easier to get into a 335 & I realized that most folks seem to use that as a benchmark & I've not owned or even played one. Some guys don't like the 335 because of size, but I'm 6' 5" so that is not an issue. I'm a bit suspicious I may even like the 335 better than the 339.

17. mdog114

mdog114 Member

The pickups are very well matched to the guitar and the volume/tone controls work across their whole sweep. Mine's becoming a real frequent player. I'm not a big Gibson fan, had some real stickers, but they hit the ball out of the park with this model.

18. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I was very disappointed when I played a couple of ES-339s! Not because they're bad guitars (they were great), but because I wanted a smaller ES-335 with a large neck at a decent price. I wanted to have my cake and eat it too.

I still want one- after I get a fat neck ES-335 for a decent price!

19. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i've had 4 of them. 2 of them had very bad glue stains at the end-pin. One of them had the bridge screws at such a bad angle that even with the tailpiece raised as high as it could go, the strings still hit the back of the bridge. It needed to be doweled and the bridge screw holes re-tapped. Utter crap as far as I'm concerned for a $2k guitar. Too bad Tokai doesn't make one. I find the Japanese Tokai guitars to be far better in quality and tone.

OTOH, I've owned a bunch of 335s and never had the kind of quality control problems I've seen with the 339. My conclusion from personal experience and from TGP articles I've read is that Gibson is taking shortcuts to bring the price down. Why else is there a $1k diff between the 335 and 339?

20. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member