Gibson 339, Ethos, Kingsley amp

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by jzucker, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...the tones and playing are wonderful as usual! Through my monitors, I thought your guitar needed to be louder in the mix...

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Really Nice Jack ... agree with John, guitar could be louder in the Jack ..

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

thanks for the comments. I remixed it. Normally the guitar in my recordings is way too loud so I guess I'm overcompensating...

4. billstets

billstets Member

I love it! Sounds amazing.

I have a Kingsley D30. Which Kingsley is this? How do you have the amp set? And finally, which pickup is it on the 339?

5. jzucker

Thanks. It's a Kingsley D50 which is one of the best 50 watt amps I've ever played through. Balls to the walls and sounds great for clean or dirty. The amp is very loud. M'm playing channel 1 (the one with the extra gain stage) with the boost switch on, everything else except vol and gain about 5 and vol and gain on about 1. The amp really comes into it's own when you get the vol to 2 or greater but it's too loud for my wife. :) Oh, and it's a TR 112 cab with RW&B speaker. I've decided I like those better than the Heritage 1265 speakers I was using before though for that ONE dumble tone, the 1265 speakers are a little smoother. For everything else, the RW&B sound better, including that really sweet and nasty strat/tele grunge. The 1265s can't do that.

Bridge pickup with the tone controll rolled back to about 4.

6. billstets

billstets Member

thanks for the info! I love my Kingsley too. Mine's a combo with the greenback and G12h combination. If I play it at home, I set it at 1/2 power triode, which is 7 watts. In bands, I have rarely had it at full power pentode (30 watts). I usually use 15 watts, either triode or pentode. I usually run my master at about 1-2 o'clock. So I can imagine that the 50 watts is loud!!

I've got to do some Kingsley recordings myself. I just started playing in a band that does originals, and we're trying to record them. Maybe once I get something down, I'll post it here if I can remember to.

Kingsley's rock!! Anyone who hears my amp is very impressed.

7. jzucker

i'd love to hear clips of yours. I'm want to get a D30 someday...

8. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Nice tones and playing, Jack.

I've been lusting for a Kingsley myself. (So many amps, so little time)

I've heard clips of the clean channel cranked, and the OD channel that are very similar to LC's Dumble tones. (No pedals needed)

That 339 is a sweet guitar too. Dream rig...

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Nice clip Jack! I would not have known that was you if I did not read it becaue of the style. Good tones and feel. Glad you are digging the Ethos, what a great pedal! Way to keep the chops under control! :BEER (Of course I would have loved to hear a little of them here and there.:D)

10. scottl

scottl Member

Nice Jack! Your blues is really getting good! Way to focus! Good tones too!

11. jzucker

thanks guys. I'm tryin' ! :)

12. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Yeah Jack...hadn't heard of the amp. How do you like the 339 compared to the 336? I'm assuming you've played a 336 that is.:)

13. jzucker

I've owned 2 gibson 336's. They are neck heavy and plinky. Not enough body weight to really dig in with serious sustain and punch. The 339 doesn't have either of those problems. It's also one of the best new Gibsons I've played in years and to top it off, it's relatively cheap.

14. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

15. Thor

Thor Member

Wow - great stuff as usual! Very fluid and natural and, as others have already mentioned, fantastic tone. Makes me regret not pulling the trigger on the Ethos when my number came up.

Cheers,

Edward

16. jzucker

I'm really digging this pedal. The clean channel is awesome as well. Talk about ***CHEWY***

Definitely an always on pedal. My only problem is that I'm setting up an A/B effects board with a loop-master.com loop and I find that I really need to have on Ethos for the always on clean tone and another to put in the "hot" side of my loop.

17. Thor

Thor Member

I don't have the Ethos so I don't know if this is possible, but could you have it outside of the loop, and then have one of the loops trigger it to switch to the other channel, or have the hot channel itself in the second loop? (not sure if that makes sense).

I can think of worse things than owning 2 ethos pedals, but they are not inexpensive and they are real estate hogs.

Good luck with a solution, and keep the good sounds coming!

Cheers,

Edward

18. jzucker

unfortunately you can't do that. I'm hoping he'll release a pint size version that has only the clean channel in it. Then I'll use that for the always on pre-loop. I have no idea if he's ever going to do that though.