Gibson 339 Memphis?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sportoflife, Apr 26, 2014.

1. sportoflife

sportoflife Member

I am in the market for a 339 and I played this sweet 339 at guitar center today. The serial number is "ME 301036"

The guys at guitar center thought it was this model http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-...ric-Guitar-with-30-60-Neck-515256-i1390586.gc

However this did not have the Custom shop logo on the back of the neck and the CS was lacking from the serial number.

The original case is missing.. even tho this is a new guitar! Anyway I was able to get the price down to $1500 pre tax.

Any idea what model this is and if its a good deal with missing case and certificate?

2. G.Ham

G.Ham Member

Memphis regular production models started using the ME serial system in late 2012.

I feel like the 30/60 neck may be the most comfortable of our current profiles!

3. sportoflife

sportoflife Member

Thanks for the reply! I agree on the neck profile i really loved the way it played.

From your knowledge is the me serial numbered guitar the same one listed in the above link from guitar center?

Before i pull thr trigger i really want to know which model i am bringing home.

4. pattste

pattste Member

Are you saying the ES-339 is no longer a custom shop instrument? I thought the Memphis plant was also part of the custom shop and was now making all semi-hollowbody guitars?

5. krall

krall Supporting Member

It never was.

6. pattste

pattste Member

Well then you should explain that to the folks at Long and McQuade, whose parent company is the Canadian distributor for Gibson:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/7238/

Gibson Custom Shop - ES-339 Classic Thin Neck Semi Hollow Electric - Antique Red

The tone pros at the Gibson Custom Shop have created another winner. The Gibson ES-339 is the perfect semi-hollow guitar for solidbody players. With its vintage vibe and modern performance, the ES-339 is a great all-around guitar for any style of music.

This one on eBay even shows the Certificate of Authenticity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Gibson...c-Guitar-30-60-Neck-Antique-Red-/221418551296

7. G.Ham

G.Ham Member

Gibson Memphis as a division was under the umbrella of the Custom Shop until last year.

The Memphis facility builds regular production semi-hollows, while Nashville Custom Shop handles the Historic Reissue hollow body guitars.

8. krall

krall Supporting Member

Exactly. These 339's come with a Custom Shop COA, but they are not custom shop. They are just regular semi-hollows built in Memphis.

9. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Yup. They build all the semi-hollows in Memphis, where there is no "custom shop." My 339 had the decal on it, but it's meaningless. Unless it comes from the "Custom Art Historic" shop in Nashville, it's a production instrument.

10. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

In 2013 gibson stopped putting the custom shop label on the 339's they also started using a Nashville bridge and painting the inside black

11. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

And I bought a 2010 because I prefer he abr1 bridge and kinda like the custom shop logo on there even though I know it's not a true cs guitar

12. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

I have say that the people at the top of Gibson must be complete morons (no offence G. Ham). Custom Shop decal on the back of the headstock, Custom Shop label on the case, Custom Shop certificate but it's not a Custom Shop guitar. Could Gibson possibly confuse their customer base a little more? Yes, yes, then can with the Memphis '63 reissues 335s.

13. sportoflife

sportoflife Member

I normally feel very well informed when I walk into a guitar store... This was the first time I felt absolutely clueless! And the kids at guitar center had no idea what they had hanging on their wall, heck they couldn't even find the case!

I understand everything now but kudos Gibson you threw me for a loop!

14. burgersalad12

burgersalad12 Member

I have two left handed ES330 VOS guitars. One came in a Brown Gibson Memphis case, and the other came in a black Gibson Custom Case. Both COA's are different (Custom and Memphis) G.Ham, are you saying that these guitars were made at different factories? I always assumed all hollow bodies came from Memphis? Would be amazing if you clarified!

15. pattste

pattste Member

Isn't this false, deceptive or misleading advertising? I don't own a 339 but I do own a Memphis-built 335 Dot that came with a Custom Shop COA. It is a great, great guitar and I didn't pay "Historic" prices for it. I still think this was a highly questionable marketing practice. But I do realize that the very concept of a hand-built, custom shop instrument nowadays is neither here nor there.