Gibson 339

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jeffj, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

Since the search function wont allow me to search "339" I have to make a new thread.

What are the general thoughts on the Gibson 339? I have a 66 335 that is just killer, but I am getting to nervous to gig with it anymore. I was looking at picking up a later model 335 when I ran across the 339. Looks ideal, just curious about the tones. There arent any local ofr me to try out. Do they sound just like a 335? Similiar? The price looks pretty decent on them to, compared to a 335.....any thoughts?

2. dverna

dverna Member

3. mainsale

mainsale Member

I think the 339 is an excellent guitar in it's own right, but if you are looking for 335 tone from it, you will most likely be disappointed. From a tone standpoint, I think it is located somewhere between a Les Paul and a 335, maybe a little more on the 335 side than the LP side, but it really is it's own tone IMHO. I like mine a lot, but it now sports some Lollar Imperials with Hoveland tonecaps!

:AOK

4. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I picked up the 30/60 Caramel Burst and love it. I compared it to a 345, 336, and Les Paul. To me it was closer to the 345 then the other two. Was it identical, no. The neck pickup just sounds fat and clear. Compared to my Les Paul's thier neck pickup's are dull in the low end. The bridge pickup has a nice bite to it maybe a little to much trebble, so I row the tone down a little. This is my first semi-hollow, so i'm biased. It is a great guitar.

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

6. tybone

tybone Member

My ONLY grip is the little bit of extra brightness on the bridge pickup. Otherwise it is near perfect for me.

7. phretbored

phretbored Member

Thanks for the link that kicks @$$!!!
    The current crop of Gibson small hollows as well as the Johnny A or simply amazing.

But Gibson is not supposed to be able to make great guitars!?!?
    Haven't you read all about it around here?

8. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

After I set mine up, I love it. It's my number one.