Gibson 359 arrives.

Tag

Gold Supporting Member
First impressions are fantastic. The guitar could not be set up any better. Its flawless. Low action, no dead spots, no buzzing anywhere. The woods are beautiful. The tones both acoustically and plugged in are great. It rings LOUD and clear unplugged, and has great girth and HUGE punch plugged in. The punch I think is what makes this more appealing in a way than the 335s. The sound just JUMPS out of the smaller body. With the 24" scale, the frets are tight at the top. I do not like that, and the guitar seems heavier than it should be. That bugs me right now, but I will have to see what other ones weigh. If this one is a pig, its going back, I do not care how good it sounds, and it sounds GREAT right now. More tomorrow.

The flash is making it look MUCH lighter than it is. I will get better pics tomorrow, and hopefully a few clips.

guitarist58

Sounds good, Tag! I just happened to be up and noticed your thread.
I haven't actually been watching 24 hours a day for your post LOL! :p

I read somewhere about the weight of someone's 339... I hope they're not all "a bit heavy"...

Looking forward to your further report... :phones

Tag

Gold Supporting Member
I am going to get it weighed, but so far today, it ciontinues to knock my ball$ off. The tone is simply fantastic. One of the best sounding, playing guitars I have. Gibson has hit it out of the park. For the 339 lovers, wait until you try a 359. The ebony board and tuners give it an even woodier, girthier tone. More money, but IMO, WELL worth it. Clips will come later today. WHAT a guitar! My ONLY concern now is weight. If its over 8.5 Lbs, I am sending it back and requesting a lighter one.

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Silver Supporting Member
The wood on a 359 is laminate. I don't think you're gonna find a huge difference in weight, but I'm interested to see if you do. Beautiful guitar BTW.

GAD

* velcro-fly *

Supporting Member
The wood on a 359 is laminate. I don't think you're gonna find a huge difference in weight, but I'm interested to see if you do. Beautiful guitar BTW.

GAD
True, but it is exotic flamed laminate ;)

BTW - my 339 is my favorite guitar I own.

I have had three of these puppies. Two of them went back to Gibson. There was something wrong with the placement of the bridge and intonation was horrible. The third one Gibson sent back to me almost made it. I had to reverse the blocks on the G, B, E sting to finally get the intonation correct. Once it was done the guitar played like a dream. The tone is a bit brighter than the 335. It is a bit top heavy but nothing bad. I played mine (finally) at a gig for about an hour and it did really well. I really have to say the neck is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

tquig

Tag--Congrats!--I was going to get the 339--had my wife come down to shop to hear it--had a 359 next to it-played the 339-then the 359-my wife's eyes lit up and she said wow what a difference! so she talked me into the more expensive guitar!-not sure if the ebony fretboard heavier grover tuners would make that much difference in sound or if they are braced slightly different--the 359 had a woodier more 335 like tone than the 339.

Tag--play a lp for a while then the 359 seems very light--it seems about as heavy as my tele.
After a 2 hour gig with my 9 pound lp my shoulder would be a little stiff--the 359 no problem.

Tag

Gold Supporting Member
Tag--Congrats!--I was going to get the 339--had my wife come down to shop to hear it--had a 359 next to it-played the 339-then the 359-my wife's eyes lit up and she said wow what a difference! so she talked me into the more expensive guitar!-not sure if the ebony fretboard heavier grover tuners would make that much difference in sound or if they are braced slightly different--the 359 had a woodier more 335 like tone than the 339.

Tag--play a lp for a while then the 359 seems very light--it seems about as heavy as my tele.
After a 2 hour gig with my 9 pound lp my shoulder would be a little stiff--the 359 no problem.

Do you know how much yours weighs?
thanks!

tquig

Tag I have not weighed it, but it is much lighter than my 9 pound lp-would guess between 6 and 7 pounds

Tag

Gold Supporting Member
Tag I have not weighed it, but it is much lighter than my 9 pound lp-would guess between 6 and 7 pounds

Damn. This one has to go back then. My guess is 8.5. It is heavier than my PRS that are about 8. I am going to get it oficially weighed on Monday. They were closed today. I have 10 days to decide if I want it. That would suck if it is only a weight issue, but it would never sell if its a hog no matter how good it sounds. :(

gkoelling

Well, I can understand the weight issue, I've had a couple back surgeries, but that thing has some fantastic tone.

I hope it works out for you.

Tag

Gold Supporting Member
Well, I can understand the weight issue, I've had a couple back surgeries, but that thing has some fantastic tone.

I hope it works out for you.
Thanks, and it does sound AMAZING. My bathroom scale says 8. So maybe I am wrong.

hiftbso

I like heavier guitars (Gibson's at least) I think they sound better to my ears. If you swap it for a lighter one it may not sound as sweet. It is a good looking axe, I really want a ES356 right now.