Gibson 54 Oxblood?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Nick Greer, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Nick Greer

Nick Greer Member

To all the folks that have Gibson 54 Oxbloods, give me some info...what do you like/dislike about the guitar? How does the guitar sound in comparison to the good ole 58 and 59 reissues? I am looking at getting one possibly and currently own two of the 58 reissues which I love...Any info is welcome!

Nick Greer

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

As an R4 and R7 owner/player I can tell you that a wraptail is very different in both feel and tone. Personally I LOVE the wraptail and wish my R7 had one.
    The wrap has more body in the tone and just seems better connected. Different attack, more sustain, it really is delicious.

3. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

The uncovered BB2 and BB3 pickups are a little hotter than the BB1 and BB2 in the R7/8 or R9.

4. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I had a nice one, has a bit more snap to it than regular LP's, the top wrap, and tailpiece combo makes this a different beast.

Pickups are hotter without the covers in a general way, and the notes jump off the guitar quicker. Really cool sounding.

5. c_mac

c_mac Supporting Member

:confused:

6. wodka

wodka Supporting Member

I owned one for a bit. Huge neck. Easily the largest LP neck I've played. I found it a bit uncomfortable, which is why I sold it. Great full sound and I loved the feel of the wrap tailpiece. I'd consider a chambered version to get the weight down. It was also 10lbs.

7. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Yes, the notes jump off the guitar quicker. Let me rephrase it, the guitar has more attack, you know a very immediate response to your picking hand. It sounds a little brighter than a regular bridge equipped LP, not in a bad way, this is a great rock guitar. Blues guys may find it to snappy.

8. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

i own a 54 tq ri which is basically a goldtop version of the oxblood with the bb1+2 pickup combo and regular kluson style tuners.

my example of this guitar varys a little from what Relicula describes.
    it is a big and mellow sounding guitar with lots of bass & treble.
    lots of overtones. the attack is smooth and not as fast/aggressive/snappy as the r0 or several other stop/abr equipped les pauls i have owned.
    so i would guess the wraptail has little effect on the response to picking??
    and yes, the neck is huge and the reason for me to sell it within the next couple of month as well.
    if i remeber correctly the bridge pickup is slightly closer to the bridge (more distance between both pickups) than on a regular stop/abr equipped les paul. that may cause the extra bite some people describe.

i guess you need to give this guitar a try, it´s great, if you prefer that kind of neck profile.

9. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Mine is a 2004 and it is my favorite guitar that I've ever owned. It is not chambered. Les Pauls have always been my main guitars and this is the best I've found after owning a half dozen over the last 15 years (including a few R7 Goldtops, one of which was really nice).

The sustain and "ring" seems to be enhanced and the feel of the strings is a little slinkier with the wraptail. My only quibble was with the BB2 and BB3 pickups. I'm much happier since I switched them out for a Duncan Jazz in the neck and a Rio BBQ in the bridge.

[​IMG]

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

And yes, the neck is huge.

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I had a '99 Oxblood. Spoiled me completely and selling it was the most brain-dead thing I've done. As mentioned, huge neck. The wrap bridge converted me, I now have 4 other wrap bridge guitars, one a LP Studio that I converted trying to recapture the Oxblood vibe.

Mine ended up with Timbuckers, Tonepros studs, Hovland caps and '50s wiring. It dripped tone.

[​IMG]

12. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

I had an '05. It was light for an Ox, 8.7 pounds. Big neck but not as big as some of the R7s I've played.

Definitely more 'alive' than a TOM/stop setup. BUT, these particular guitars are brighter on the bridge pickup than other HB LPs, because they moved the bridge pickup closer to the bridge, in keeping with Beck.

Beck's guitar was a P90, and when it was routed for the HBs, instead of centering the routing around the existing bridge pickup hole, they used the edge of the rout on the neck side as their reference point and went rearward - so the bridge pickup is 3/8"-1/2" closer to the bridge than normal. You can see the gap on the pickguard cutout for the pickup ring.

It makes the bridge pickup a little weaker (less string excursion) and a little brighter. I didn't like that.

13. schaljo

schaljo LEGEND

citizen cain,

What was involved in converting your studion to a wrap bridge?

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

It wasn't that tough, surprisingly. All I did was plug the old TOM mounting holes then redrill new holes for the larger bushings. I kept the holes on the same angle and position they were, just spread a little farther apart to accomodate the wider mount. Moved the ground wire from the old tail piece hole to one of the new bridge holes, then plugged the old tailpiece holes.

Now, I was trying to save the finish around the old tailpiece holes, so I couldn't sand the plugs down completely flat. I'm planning a on doing a total refin on the guitar in the future, so I'll be able to hide those plugs a lot better, but it looks OK now. The improtant thing is that it feels and sounds very much like my old Oxblood.

[​IMG]

15. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

cain.... awesome pic! that oxblood looks great with zebras... :BEER
    what color are you thinking of using for the studio?

phil.. good foto too, it actually covers the color very well.
    in most pictures they appear black.

16. shuie

shuie Silver Supporting Member

The wrap tail makes them feel more like a Junior. The one I owned had a HUGE neck. Cool guitars.

17. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Thanks! I'm thinking of doing the same finish actually. It's one of the Vintage Mahogany Faded Studios that I put a Tru-Oil finish on. I want to redo it and do proper body prep this time to get a more glass-like finish.

18. Bluestar

Bluestar Gold Supporting Member

Original owner of an 05 R4 Oxblood (w/Burstbuckers 2 and 3) - I like everything about the LP, dislike nothing. It is a bit heavier than the other LPs I have, but not enough to qualify as a boat anchor or make a difference to me (and I did have an LP that was as heavy as a boat anchor, and did it ever make a difference!); the Burstbuckers to me are a tad "hotter" PUs than most, but if that isn't to your liking they are easy enough to change out. If you find one that you like, you'll likely end up keeping it - you've probably noticed you don't see them up for sale very often. The wraptail is a different animal than the TOM, to me it adds some pinginess (in a good way). As always, YMMV.

[​IMG]

19. Nick Greer

Nick Greer Member

So basically these things rip! My only question is why have so many of you guys sold them? There are a lot of "I used to own one" thus far...

It's between a R7 goldtop darkback or the R4.

Ng

20. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

I still own both, get the R4!