1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gibson '57 Classic pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Strat-O, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

I have these in a 335 and they sound really tight and have very little character. Kind of like playing through a solid state amp. Not alot of sustain either.

Almost no detail, dynamics, depth, rawness or vibe. They are very clear though with a sort of bell like clarity. The low E is what I would call piano like. And, yes I have adjusted the pickup heights quite a bit.

Is this the way these are supposed to sound? I can't believe all the talk about 57 classics is based on this. Any feedback?

2. sqadan

sqadan Member

I replaced the original pups in my old Les Paul Classic with '57 Classics. I thought they were great sounding with a very round fat tone. I have been pondering replacing the Burstbuckers in my R7 with '57s as well...

Not sure what this issue is with yours... maybe they are just not a good match with your particular axe?

3. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Try adjusting the pole pieces. Look at a Strat vintage stagger to get an idea and see if adjusting the screws brings out more detail. You might be surprised. Everything now comes from Gibson screwed flat down into the pickup.

4. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

maybe new pots would spruce it up

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Are these in a Gibson ES-335 or did you whip 'em in an Ibanez or something? 57 classics are excellent pickups. I play their predecessor, the Shaw PAF, in my ES-335 and they're anything but lifeless and dull.

6. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

They're in a 335, you may have missed that in my original post. I'll adjust the pole pieces like someone said and see what happens.

They are fat and round sounding but they don't have any character beyond that. Must be an adjustment issue.

The guitar they are in is pretty resonant so I don't think that's it. The only thing unusual about the guitar is the string tension is a little tighter/stiffer than my other Gibsons. That could be contributing to the problem?

7. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I've had these in a couple of different guitars, and in some guitars they sound great. In others, I've found them to be very congested and middy. Great pickups if they're matched up to the right guitar.

8. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I also replaced the pickups in my LP Classic with the 57's and love em. Not at all how you describe them, for me that is.

I also have them in my ES333 and they are heaven in that guitar.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Very well could be. You probably need a set up. Adjust neck relief. Raise the tailpiece to relieve some of the tension; however, you will have to re-intonate if you muck with the tailpiece. It sounds as if the pickups are amplifying the tightness you decribe. Good luck.

10. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Duncan Antiquities > Gibson pups. I never thought the 57s sounded smooth on the high end :dunno

11. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

I hear you, it just came from the shop and getting a new setup. Still could be the setup though.

12. Steven_K

Steven_K Member

I'm finding the 57s a little too compressed sounding - they don't really breathe or respond well to picking dynamics. I have a pair of Sheptones I'm going to be putting in soon, so I'll have a point of comparison then.

13. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Went back and checked, never saw ya say Gibson ES-335, just 335, sir. Could be talking an Epiphone for all I know. ;)

14. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I have them in a 335, two lp standards. They rock. The two standards have 57 classic+ models in the bridge. They fit the 335 very well as anything with higher output would feedback too much. They seem to fit well in the 61 SG as well. Something is not right. Maybe that set of pups or something because the 57 classics sound great. Most people like them.

15. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I have them in a semi-hollow Les Paul Elegant and really like them; very balanced through the lows, mids, and highs with a warm, fat, smooth tone.

16. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

i have them in my Les Paul and I love them.....just what i like.

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I luv the Classic 57's too.

Is it your guitar you find unimpressive :p

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  18. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

Oh I see.

Must be a set up problem.

19. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I've got them in my Les Paul Custom and love them. I had them in an ES-135 I owned and loved them in there. They paired perfectly with the semi-hollow sound. I'm thinking about putting some in my Prospect.

20. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I have '57's in all of my Gibsons and find them very dynamic especially in my 335's.

I do find that neck relief has a great effect on overall response from the guitar itself
    and it is even more noticable on the 335's moreso than the other Gibsons.