Gibson 60s Tribute LP Darkback??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GibsonSGgirl, Feb 18, 2012.

1. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Silver Supporting Member

Hey all,

I was at my local GC last night and I came across a gold top LP 60s Trib listed as a 'dark back' model? The sales guy said they'd had it in the store about a week or 2.

When did Gibson start producing these with the painted black back and sides? Not a good look in my opinion! In fact, I think it made it look quite cheap.

I also noticed it didn't have a rosewood fretboard (not that I'm surprised).

The sales guy told me that the earlier non-black back 60s tributes were limited editions and are hard to come by now. Is this true or was he spouting a load of rubbish?

Is it even possible to get a regular Gold Top 60s Tribute with the "light" back from Sam Ash or GC anymore?

2. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

The dark backs started around last summer. They all have maple boards.
    The first run GT's started in the summer of '10 to around the summer of '11.
    Those GT's, 50's and 60's, had light backs and rosewood fingerboards.

There is a '11 60's GT Tribute at my GC with a light back and rosewood board.
    So, I'm sure the 60's GT' can still be found with the light back rosewood combo new.
    Used ones are up for sale often on Ebay.

I've got a '10 50's GT with P90's and a light back/rosewood combo.
    Killer guitars IMO.

3. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

I have a Tribute darkback with baked maple board, it is a great guitar.

4. Wag

Wag Member

Wildwoodguitars.com still has a few of the GT's light backs in stock. That's where I bought mine last summer...

5. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Silver Supporting Member

I've got an early 2011 60s Tribute GT with the light back/sides and rosewood board. I'd been contemplating selling it for a number of months now, but seeing that it might be more collectable now, I think I might keep it. Plus, it's just a great guitar all around!

6. jp1977

jp1977 Member

Much like the Gibson knock offs that came from china , Gibson is using the "dark back" term as an excuse to use dark stain applied in streaks to hide the fact that the bodies are made up of several scrap pieces of wood instead of one solid piece. The dark stain hides the vertical lines where the wood is glued together and also hides the grain so u can't see the quality of wood. I have seen up to six pieces of wood glued together to make these bodies,the dark makes it harder to tell.

7. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Some people prefer the dark back look as it wasn't as common as the non-black backs. I agree with jp1977 in that the paint may hide the fact that the back is made out of many pieces.

8. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

True, but to be fair, they've been using multi-piece bodies for years. I once saw a natural-finish "smartwood" Les Paul that looked like it had been glued together from a box of these:

[​IMG]

9. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

My light back GT LP tribute is made of 3 pieces of perfectly matched beautiful grained wood.

10. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Bingo.

Even thought transparent-finished backs may have multiple pieces, they have to take the time to match them well if it's gonna show through the finish. Not so if it's painted over. This is one of the reasons that Fender's burst and natural finishes cost more than the solid-color painted bodies.