Gibson acoustic paint - Cheap?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by evening_crow, Dec 18, 2017.

1. evening_crow

evening_crow Member

Anyone else dislike the paint used on their acoustics? For some reason they make the guitar feel cheap to me. I can't help but compare it to the typical poly finish on Squier electrics. Maybe it's because it covers the wood grain, but it subconsciously makes me think it's overly thick and mutes the guitar (then again, I'm not always a mahogany fan which a lot of them use).

So, is this just me? My Martin and Taylors have a natural finish and unfortunately finding that on a J-45 is more difficult than I wished so I don't know if it'd be the same.

Outlaw likes this.
  2. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

Isn't the 'paint' just tint applied to the lacquer? If that's the case, it shouldn't affect tone or anything. If you are looking for a natural finished J45, I'm pretty sure the J50 is exactly that.

3. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Silver Supporting Member

Yep, not a fan.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    jens5, Jayyj, big jilm and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

since a J-45 by definition has a sunburst top it'll be pretty rare, i expect you'll only find a natural top with certain "custom" variations.
    pretty much, yeah ;)

gibsons have real nitro lacquer finishes, which is the opposite of cheap, rather it's a pain in the ass to do. martins below a fairly big-dollar price point and all taylors use poly, so in fact if anything they're closer to that squier.

(the reality is that all these companies making nice american-made acoustic guitars know how to do properly thin finishes that don't hurt the tone, this shouldn't even be a consideration when trying to decide. a little sunburst shading or even a solid color won't change that.)

Jabberwocky and Outlaw like this.
  6. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

I would play the hell out of this! Awesome.

7. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I haven't played through many guitars of any brand ( just one Martin for almost 25 years!) to really deserve to have an opinion , but from just a ' looks' opinion, I prefer a Sunburst finish on a Gibson, and a natural ( or vintage toner style) on a Martin...

That said, I could live with this Gibson in natural, it just looks like it would be fun to play! Give it to me, and I'll adjust!
    Edit: I thought this was blonde, not PINK!, ( Eyes getting old too) but I'll stick by my words

jasevenny and Social Exodus like this.
  8. evening_crow

evening_crow Member

I'm aware of the finishes (my D-35 has nitro, 254 dlx gloss poly, and 214 satin poly). I guess it's more a matter that most of the Gibsons I've tried were vey meh and had a rather boxy sound. I subconsciously keep making that association with the paint job since almost all the other gusts I've played had natural finishes and didn't suffer from that sound.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

nah, let go of that one. think of how awesome good vintage J-45s and sunburst J-200s sound, the top shading has zero to do with anything.

think about it, a good acoustic finish is several layers; if one or two of the middle layers are colored instead of clear that's not gonna change anything.

my guess is you're just hearing the typical inconsistency of gibson acoustics; some sound kind of blah while the identical model next to it can be the best strumming and singing rock & roll acoustic you've ever heard.

alamere and Outlaw like this.
  10. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Member

If the original thread had ever finished a quality acoustic, he would have known gibson didnt use "paint" & he would know how little lacquer it actually takes to finish a guitar. A crummy sounding guitar may still sound crummy no matter how thin the finish is!!

11. evening_crow

evening_crow Member

I meant to say paint job, referring to obviously the laquer. I'm sorry, didn't mean for you to develop a headache trying to decipher my post.

12. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

All my Gibson acoustics past and present have quite thin and rather lovely finishes, so my experience differs.

Scary Uncle G. likes this.
  13. alamere

alamere Supporting Member

Agreed. Gibson uses a relatively thin lacquer that ages so well.. I LOVE it. My J45 is juuuuust now getting to the point where the wood grain is peaking through in certain places... it's beautiful!

14. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

The only modern Gibson I have any experience with is a 2010 Keb Mo. Like others, it has anything but s thick coat of paint. It is also my favorite acoustic... I've compared it to many higher dollar guitars (Martin, Gibson, HUss & Dalton, Taylor, etc.), and a number of Vintage instruments (I worked for a little while in a store that was a Martin dealer, but also had a huge inventory of vintage Martins and Gibsons). I prefer m little Gibby to all the rest. Granted it is a Custom Shop... Maybe that makes a difference?

Jabberwocky likes this.
  15. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

A J45 with a natural finish is a J50. Any paint used is microns thin and certainly won't affect tone any more than the top finish does. If you can see grain ridges/undulations through the finish it's thin enough, and they will appear over time just as on my LJ6 and AP70.

16. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Yeah, that's not really how guitar finishes work.