Gibson amber knobs with barely visible numbers

NSDQRKR

I used clear speed knobs with black numbers. Then I painted the inside of the knob with different colors for different ranges.
Green - 0 to 6
Yellow - 6 to 8
Red - 8 to 10

That way, even if it was dark I could see what my ranges were.
Thats a smart idea...someone should make those! It's funny how many people just use 0-10 and don't realize how a great pair of pickups and good pots can give you such a range of sound.

Natetime

Silver Supporting Member
I did read your post.
I told you what I do, which is use my ears.
And as I SAID, I do that too. That dosen't mean I don't want to know what the setting are when I get a sound I like. I'm simply looking for a source for amber knobs that have legible numbers. Black knobs are fine, Gold knobs are fine, but every Amber knob I've seen are practically invisible and I woundered why that is.

Arf

Why can't Gibson or any other manufacture make amber knobs where the numbers are actually usably visible? Yeah, there is a hint of a number if, and only if, the light is bright enough.

And yeah, I should and do use feel and ear. But I'd still like to see the number if I want to look. Maybe I'd like to have guitar volume on 8 before I even turn the amp on. Maybe I'm weird. But I like fret markers on the neck too.
I noticed this too on my last project. Spent hours hunting and spending money on ones I don't like. Actually I cant find any Gibson brand now which were just fine, like the ones I bought ten years ago for a few guitars.

therhodeo

And as I SAID, I do that too. That dosen't mean I don't want to know what the setting are when I get a sound I like. I'm simply looking for a source for amber knobs that have legible numbers. Black knobs are fine, Gold knobs are fine, but every Amber knob I've seen are practically invisible and I woundered why that is.

Because its not an issue because no one actually looks at them.

jk60JPTH

I noticed this too on my last project. Spent hours hunting and spending money on ones I don't like. Actually I cant find any Gibson brand now which were just fine, like the ones I bought ten years ago for a few guitars.
I bought Gibson knobs from their website, and what the photo on the web page and what the actual knobs looked like were two different things.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
I couldn't tell you for sure if my strat knobs even have numbers on them. I recall little marks so I'm assuming there are numbers as well.

theon

Gold Supporting Member
How about a Day Glow Marker or Metallic Pen?
You could trace over each number for a reference.

telewired

Silver Supporting Member
If OP wants amber knobs with numbers he can see then try and help with that instead of telling him why it is a silly idea or he should use his ears etc. etc. He was not asking for everyones' opinion ---he was looking for a solution.....Ok back to your regularly scheduled programming...peace and love and a little bit of granola. and I do look at and use my numbers.

Natetime

Silver Supporting Member
If OP wants amber knobs with numbers he can see then try and help with that instead of telling him why it is a silly idea or he should use his ears etc. etc. He was not asking for everyones' opinion ---he was looking for a solution.....Ok back to your regularly scheduled programming...peace and love and a little bit of granola. and I do look at and use my numbers.
Thank You! Decency and common sense do exist, and I appreciate it.

bluesky636

Thank You! Decency and common sense do exist, and I appreciate it.
What's wrong with these? There are plenty of sellers of amber knobs with white letters if you do a simple search.

fitz

I kinda get it, but I get by with my Amber knobs as they are. On humbucking guitars I use the middle position quite a bit and blend the pickups to varying degrees often. With standard audio tapers the difference between 7 & 8 can be a fairly large change so it is good to be precise and know exactly where you are at easily.

I did a quick search and saw these Allparts speed knobs. I'm not sure if is just the picture but the white lettering seems to pop a bit more than the Gibsons below on the page.

Allparts speed knobs

Natetime

Silver Supporting Member
What's wrong with these? There are plenty of sellers of amber knobs with white letters if you do a simple search.

Thanks! I may give them a shot. I believe I currently have two or three sets and so far the numbers in the ad pictures have looked much brighter than what I've actually received. I not exactly sure why you would make the assumption that I havn't searched.

Last edited:

Natetime

Silver Supporting Member
I kinda get it, but I get by with my Amber knobs as they are. On humbucking guitars I use the middle position quite a bit and blend the pickups to varying degrees often. With standard audio tapers the difference between 7 & 8 can be a fairly large change so it is good to be precise and know exactly where you are at easily.

I did a quick search and saw these Allparts speed knobs. I'm not sure if is just the picture but the white lettering seems to pop a bit more than the Gibsons below on the page.

Allparts speed knobs
Thanks! I'll look into it. I've two or three sets of Amber and the numbers so far have all be very dim, despite what the ad has pictured. It's as if photographer has fiddled with the white balance. But, I guess that's their job to make the product look as good as they can. If you look /search for Amber Knobs on that site, you'll find Gibsons...that don't even have the numbers painted white at all.

But as been made obvious, lots of players couldn't care less. I'm just not one of them.

I too like to blend volumes, the Les Paul with Amber knobs has two Seth Lover neck pickups, but I like it and don't intend to change the bridge.

Last edited:

johnh

I struggle with this in some live situations. In those cases, I. Usually change out the knobs for a different design, with more visible lettering.

fitz

Thanks! I'll look into it. I've two or three sets of Amber and the numbers so far have all be very dim, despite what the ad has pictured. It's as if photographer has fiddled with the white balance. But, I guess that's their job to make the product look as good as they can. If you look /search for Amber Knobs on that site, you'll find Gibsons...that don't even have the numbers painted white at all.

But as been made obvious, lots of players couldn't care less. I'm just not one of them.

I too like to blend volumes, the Les Paul with Amber knobs has two Seth Lover neck pickups, but I like it and don't intend to change the bridge.

Yes, the ones you posted as described are "vintage" amber. The standard amber are very different and the numbers are in white. I have the standard amber on a few guitars and they are OK, but not super bright. I bought a set of the vintage ambers to put on my '59 ES-330 reissue, looked at them and never even opened the package to put them on. They are real tough to see.

bluesky636

Thanks! I may give them a shot. I believe I currently have two or three sets and so far the numbers in the ad pictures have looked much brighter than what I've actually received. I not exactly sure why you would make the assumption that I havn't searched.
You obviously haven't searched hard enough and you've been rude to otners that have tried to help you.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom