Gibson amp question.........Gibson amp content ;)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr.Woody, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Mr.Woody

Mr.Woody Supporting Member

so, just wondering if anyone can tell me for sure what the "handwired" amps (GA-20RVT, 40RVT, 42RVT) are based off? I've always said they were a mix of Deluxe and Princeton Reverb, but i'm not really sure. I don't have a schematic, but i know you can see the layout on eBay where you can buy overstocked pcb's for $25. Ikve thought about buying a couple just to mess with and were curious about the "origin" of the amps.

Just for the record, i LOVE LOVE LOVE my 20RVT, and will be using it saturday night in the studio! It's the cat's meow.

Thanks,
    Woody.

2. dbx

dbx Member

3. Mr.Woody

yeah, i think i've seen that before at some point. I'm pretty sure that this one isn't really based on any of the old designs.....could be wrong though.

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

they really don't have that many similarities to Fenders.

5. Mr.Woody

well, i haven't played a ton of different amps like some guys on here, But i don't know if i would put this amp on the fender side of stuff. It's def more american when compared to my Reinhardt despite it's 6V6 power section. The Gibson's real Real mid-rangy.

I've got 2 good videos on my youtube that show the overdrive.
    www.youtube.com/user/crewcutsamson

There's a short one called "Saving Christmas" and one that is something like "Rocketfire Total Handwound 60's" it should be the oldest video i have uploaded. skip to the end of the video for more overdriven stuff.

The overdrive on Saving christmas seems more British to me.

6. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Back in the 1970's, musicians had a saying that Gibson made great sounding guitars but horrible sounding amps. It's kind of ironic that they are reissuing these amps todays as "classics"

7. Mr.Woody

well, i can say that, in my limited experience, i've NEVER played a bad sounding Gibson amp........but i'm young......er ;)

8. Mr.Woody

This amp ROARED tonight at the studio. Tucked in a padded closet above the garage, and even using a hotplate on the 4db setting, it could be heard through the whole house.......i love that :) fun night with great friends......and great amps ;)

9. Imerkat

Imerkat Member

I have a GA-20RVT crazy modded! My amp tech said they aren't based off anything but are similar to fender. Back in the 70's they were coming out with Solid state and as far as i can tell these aren't re-issues

Love my tone but it's too loud for my current worship team so i can't crank it to the sweet spot.

10. Mr.Woody

what all mods have been done to yours?

11. Imerkat

Imerkat Member

I know this is obscenely late but since you have a 'Gibson GA-20RVT from '06 too i had to.... Mercury Magnets transformer with a choke put in, vox alnico blue speaker, Evidence Siren II speaker cable but what change the character the most was the Phase Inverter Pre-amp tube (12AT7), and JJ 6V6 tubes. To describe the difference without any tone-jargon, It's uncompressed, Breaks up quicker (good thing since it has no Master Volume) and Dark enough you can have the bass at zero on the EQ (than again the EQ range isn't much) but with great string seperation. Love the tone when plugging straight in cranked, Vintage Raw! I gave up looking for a OD pedal to put in front, . the reverb awful though lol.

12. Mr.Woody

yeah, i've been using jj's the whole time i've had the amp. i have a weber 12F150 in it, and it sounds great. i think i used my weber alnico in there before, but i just really like the punch-in-the-face quality of the ceramic in this amp.

you make a good point about the phase inverter, i've been using 12ax7's.......interesting
    They say the JJ 6V6's lean more towards 6L6 in tone, so it's def more classic american "big amp" type overdrive

13. Imerkat

Imerkat Member

Nice! JJ's are definitely the way to go with these amps. I still can't believe these amp didn't do well in the market yet the Epiphones did! as for the PI pre-amp, you should try it but it might not be your cup of tea. i did it cuz i play clean 95% of the time. It was the last thing i changed on it and i can't put my finger on it but it really change the feel of the amp. then again i see everything from the strings to the speaker as one system

Cheers,

Imer