Gibson and seconds

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrPCR, Feb 1, 2006.

1. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I have owned a few Gibson with Second stamped on the back of the headstock, both were made in the early 70s.

I have heard from dealers and collectors that most of the time the guitars had nothing wrong with them and that Gibson stamped 2nd on alot of overstock guitars to get rid of them later in the year. Of course originially it was suppose to have 2nd on them since they had minor finish flaws?

Any body own a 2nd Gibson? anybody ever find the flaw?

Both of mine were actually custom ordered, so for the life of me, can't figure out how a custom ordered guitar got second stamped on the headstock

Oh and please no I hate gibson posts, I've heard and read them all on here.

2. george4908

george4908 Member

Most of the Gibsons I've owned have been seconds. In some cases, the finish flaw wasn't obvious -- some gold paint creeping onto the binding -- but in at least one case it was extremely obvious: a split in the top finish where the studs for the tailpiece were drilled. It also had one very badly installed fret.

3. Luke V

Luke V Member

I have a 335 that is stamped second. The dots on the neck binding are not centered. The higher up the neck the worse it gets. At the 15th fret the dot on the binding is half gone. Doesn't effect anything except the look.

4. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

hmm thats interesting, there are no flaws on my guitars, nothing obvious, and like I said they were custom orders, one with no bigsby and different electronics, and one was special electronics and inlays. I wonder if they were second guitars that were redone for the custom orders.

SO does owning a second affect the value of them? I've heard yes and no.

5. photoguy

photoguy Member

Original owner of a 78 LP Deluxe here that is marked *Second*. When I bought it I called Gibson to verify what the designation meant. Was told that the seconds designation was for a finish flaw. I could never find anything that seemed flawed to me.

6. george4908

george4908 Member

>>SO does owning a second affect the value of them? I've heard yes and no.

Yes, if you're trying to sell it to a dealer. No, if you're trying to buy it from a dealer.

7. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I own about 4 Gibson seconds.

One I bought used so if there ever was a noticable flaw it blends in with marks made by the previous owner.

I have never found the problems on my other Gibson seconds, although there has been some finish checking the beginnings of which I may have missed when it was new.

They have been great guitars.

It usually does affect the resale value, and I always considered it a reason to expect a slightly better discount when new.

:cool:

8. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

haha, isn't that the case in every kind of guitar? :)

9. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I had an ES-335 in the early '80s that was stamped as a factory 2nd. I never did find any flaws in it.

10. ABKB

ABKB Member

Friend of mine has a "Second" deluxe he bought used in the 70's. Never found any obvious flaws, but no dealer will touch it because of that. Well they will buy it, but for dirt cheap of course.:rolleyes:

11. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

I have a second Yairi acousitic and I haven't really found anything wrong with it. There is a little bit of a blemish on the top, but that could have been done by a previous owner. Anyway, no complaints, although I'm now playing my Breedlove acoustic much more often.

12. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane Silver Supporting Member

I bought a '2nd' SG back in '74. It was a walnut finish with a clear coat on top of the walnut. After searching for a couple of days, I saw a very fine line in the clear coat between two of the knobs. It was really faint and only about 1/2 inch long.

I figured that that was the flaw.

13. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I have a '70's black Les Paul Custom that is stamped second. I was told when I bought it that perhaps it was a burst that didn't work out, so they painted it black. I can't find any flaws. I bought it for $150, so I didn't care about the second stamp one bit.

14. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I'll buy it from ya for 150$ ;)

15. whitehall

whitehall Member

Most of the 2nd's were an attempt at QC in the late 70's By the 80's the practice was just about over. Some of the 2nd's were actually repaired guitars from Nashville. ( I sold Gibsons in the late 70's) They still exist today , they just don't stamp them anymore. I know a dealer that bought out a run of std's that all had very visable buffing marks on them . They were all the same color of course. This was in 2004, the savings were passed on to me and a few other customers.

16. morgan

morgan Guest

I have a '76 SG that's a second. I can't see anything wrong with it visually and it plays and sounds incredible.

17. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I have a 74 Custom purchased new that's a 2nd.
    The sales guy and I searched high and low for any flaws and we couldn't find any. He gave me a nice discount for the "2" mark anyway.
    :)

18. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I've had a few marked 2. Never saw anything that stood out as a "flaw."

19. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I have found lately that the Gibsons I have tried should be stamped second or third!

I couldn't believe the quality control issues I have seen!

I used to work as a quality control / tech for Hoshino (Ibanez), Gibson should be ashamed of themselves!!

K... I have my flame resistant suit on... hit me :)

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

20. rooster

rooster Member

Angus Young's main SG is a 2nd, the one with the tailpiece and all the chips and gouges. He still considers it his best one, out of the many he owns. That should say something.rooster.