Gibson Artist Discounted Pricing:

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluessyndicate, Jun 24, 2008.

1. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

What kind of discount do players get when they have Artist agreements with Gibson?

I.e. for a Custom Shop Historic 1960 Vos LP that retails for say $8033, what price before tax/shipping do you Gibson Artist agreement people get? I'm told it's $3414, is that accurate?

A friend says he bought from a Gibson artist an ES355 that retailed for 4800, and he got it for 1900, taxed and shipped which makes that about $1700, which equates to 65% off before Shipping/Tax.

I'm being offered a deal on a Gibson Historic 1960 LP Vos. 8033 retail is being offered at 3414 before tax and shipping. This equates to 57.5% off, not 65%.

I'm not an ingrate by any means. I'm more trying to figure out how thankful I should be in terms of a thank you gift when the deal is done. If he is already rewarding himself with a cut, then that's fine, but I don't want to then also blow another few hundred with a thank you gift if he is already taken care of and not being upfront about that...i.e. making it an undisclosed business transaction for him under the guise of taking care of a comrade.

I'm not looking for any philosophical comments. I just want to know what the artist agreement discounted price of a Gibson Historic 1960 VOS (or 59 VOS) is likely to be.

Much appreciated!

2. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

I think different artists get different deals, depending on profile. There are A listers, B listers and C listers. A listers get PAID to play the guitar, B listers get them FREE, C listers get them at ARTIST pricing. Even amongst C listers there are tiers.

Once upon a time I had a C list hookup, as I recall it was about 55%-60% off list price

3. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

Yes, under those guidelines, I'm talking about the C lister .... definitely not paid or free arrangements. Thanks for the data point. I wonder how my other friend got 65% off?

Thanks, interested in more comments.

4. jay42

jay42 Member

Elliot Easton posts at the les paul forum all the time. Just a thought.

5. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I thought of him of course, but I imagine he is an A lister..otherwise I would have just gone right for Pagey......or Les :)

6. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

Anyway you slice it you are getting a great deal.

I would think a thank you gift would be a nice gesture regardless of him making a couple of hundred.

Matt

7. modulusrules

modulusrules Member

I'm a c lister and I've noticed the %'s are different for different models, depending on demand. Just so you know, the double neck sg is one of the higher percentages. I think they are around $1800 artist pricing...kinda makes me want one, but I could never explain that one to the wife.

8. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I think that too..but it doesn't help me figure out what I'd like to figure out....

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  9. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

A nice gesture that could cost him his "Artist" standing if the AR folks find out. So I'd be real generous!!!!!:drink

10. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

Yep, we are careful about that.

Anyone have a C Listers price for a Gibson Custom Shop 1960 (or 1959) VOS or Gloss? :)

11. Make'n Music

Make'n Music Member

this thread is nauseating

12. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Did you READ?

dk

13. Make'n Music

Make'n Music Member

I read. I know you weren't looking for any philosophical comments but that doesn't mean I can give any.

14. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

Depending on where he lived the shipping & tax may have been less, or nothing (tax if he was out of state)

In that case your friend might not have gotten 65% off, as you're backing out shipping costs that were never there to begin with. Just a guess.

65% off seems high, dealer cost is right around 50% off

15. redfro

redfro Member

In the early nineties I had an artist deal and it was 50% off list.

16. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

hmm not sure, but I think I've got it right.
    He lives in the same town I live.
    I've verified the retail price for the guitar he bought, before his discount.
    My contact said 3414 for the VOS 1960 before a mandatory tax and $50 shipping fee, therefore I assumed my friend had the same shipping and tax obligation.
    So backing that out seems fair, and then hence the 65% off calculation from msrp.

I think the notion that the discounts differ by model/popularity probably best explain the difference between his 65% and my estimated 57.5% estimate. But I'm still curious if anyone can share the number I'm hoping to get.

Anyhow, a lot of helpful comments and some interesting agendas coming out of this thread.

17. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

isn't the 1960 les paul VOS less then $3400? i think it's like $3100 isnt it?

if thats the case, you are paying more for it then you would have if you just went to guitar center and got it

18. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

You must be thinking of a different model...most likely the Guitar Center spec'd G0, which is a plain top version of the flame top R0 of which I am interested in.

The G0 does sticker for about 3100 in GC, and if your diligent you can get them for $2700. Conventional wisdom was that you could get them for $2500 back before the new reduced discount policy at GC....but now they say the best they can do is 10% off the sticker.

The R0 msrp is 8033, and stickers in the $5100 realm. That's a hefty premium to pay, $2K plus for simply adding a flametop. I did see a Custom Shop super dealer in the Detroit area letting these go for 50% off to the general public for their 36th anniversary sale....the best deal I've ever seen from a store for one of these...but it shows what they can do when they want to. That would have been tax free (out of state) plus shipping..so the cost to me would have been say $4100 from a store during a blowout sale.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008