Gibson Bad Pot?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by E Baxter Put, May 24, 2008.

1. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I just recently bought a 2001 Les Paul Junior, and I think the volume pot might be bad. Every once in a while it will start futzing out, but it's not all of the time. When it does start happening, it will lose volume and start fizzing when I play a loud note or chord. I'll then kind of bang on the volume knob, or turn it a bunch and it will usually go away. It doesn't crackle like its dusty or anything. Could this be a bad pot? I can solder,but I've never worked on guitar electronics. I'm guessing it's pretty straightforward to replace the pots?

Thanks in advance.

2. alltone

alltone Member

Get a good quality Contact cleaner and remove the control rear plate. Shoot a SMALL amount of cleaner into the control via the open section in the metal pot cover. As well ,check that the pot nuts are tight. If the pot body can rotate , the leads to it will break off..so.. check the connections too. Good luck, Cheers, Doug

3. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

sounds like bad soldering job, cold solder joints. try to re~solder the contacts, see if that helps first.

4. groovy daddy

groovy daddy Member

Pull the knob off the front and spray contact cleaner around the shaft as well then turn up-down repeatedly.

5. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I opened it up and sprayed both pots. The problem got worse(!)

I think murkat may be right and it's a crappy soldering job. I was hoping to avoid pulling out the soldering iron... but I'll give it a shot.