Gibson Blueshawk

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sshan25, Aug 7, 2006.

1. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Anybody have experience with these? I'm considering one in a trade. Looks like a fun little axe.

2. mainsale

mainsale Member

I had one some time ago. I liked it a lot and whish I had it back. They sometimes call the "Lil' Lucille". They have a phamtom pickup to eliminate P-90 noise.

3. tac5

tac5 Member

A friend of mine just picked up a red one. It's an interesting design. I played it and it felt good but, alas, it was without amplification, so I have no idea what it sounds like.

4. jpervin

jpervin Member

I almost bought one several years ago, but changed my mind. I just couldn't get past the lack of body mass. Sounded good though.

5. pjwill

pjwill Silver Supporting Member

I have had both a Blueshawk and the "Little Lucille" which is an upscale Blueshawk with neck binding, a tp-6 tailpeice and gold hardware. They were both good sounding, fun guitars that played well. I agree with jpervin...too little body mass. I couldn't get over the super light-weight body causing it to be neck heavy. The other issue I had with them is as soon as you engage the varitone switch, the output of the pups drops of sharply (sounded too "choked") and I would lose the push that I like to drive my amps to that nice bluesy overdrive. I did enjoy the tone of the neck "Blues 90" pup with the varitone disengaged, though.

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I picked one up the other day in a store and the neck shape was very odd in that it had a rounded "bump" all along the bottom, almost like the keel on a boat. I've never seen anything quite like it on any guitar. I have seen a Blueshawk or two in the past, but not with a neck like that.

7. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I am a big fan. Don't own one at the moment, but I am hoping to acquire one soon.

I am quite fond of the varitone thingy, and P90s always are a beautiful thing in a Gibby.

8. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

25-1/2" scale too, right?

9. Brudr

Brudr Member

Yep, 25 1/2 scale and 1 5/8" nut.

10. Junior