1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Gibson BR1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sixty2strat, May 20, 2011.

1. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Saw one for sale and looked them up and found they were 18 watts. I love my old 50's n 60's off brand amps and thought this might sound great, and be useable outside the house. So what can you tell me what a fair price for say avg condition etc.

Noticed they were used by Danny Cedrone, I used to work with his son in law years ago

2. gtone

gtone Member

I always thought the BR-1 was a late 40's circuit (but I could be way off base here). Was looking at similar octal-preamp amps a few weeks back and noticed prices for early Gibsons were definitely on the rise. What used to be available in the $200-$300 range seems to be going for double that or more now.

BTW, I would guess that it'll be the quietest 18W amp you ever heard, if in fact, the output is anywhere near that. A lot of dual 6V6 circuits in the 40's were only putting out about 5W, with the 6L6's prolly running in the 8-10W range. Couple that with a field coil speaker, and you've got a recipe for a pretty modest volume amp. On the plus side, it will likely have an incredible vintage tone and vibe that is difficult to get from a modern amp (it's very hard to find builders using octal preamps these days in the realm of smaller amp circuits, btw).

3. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

thanks that is what I was thinking , I have and old Oahu from 49-50 that is 5 watts and this would be a bit redundant

4. gtone

gtone Member

What were they asking for this one, btw? (just curious...).