Gibson buying Mesa

Badside

So, what the other tube amp companies did in the field of innovation the last 20 years? the only thing i can think is the inclusion of IR technology into the amps. But this already existed outside of them and even if it's great i can't see it as an "innovation".
Something else? I'm asking because maybe i'm missing something.
This

Guitarists don't want innovation on the tube amp front, they want the same old thing over and over again.

Fender and Marshall just rehash their 60s circuits over and over again and remain the top brands in terms of mindshare. Others? Everything is always their take on a Marshall, Vox or Fender circuit.

Mesa actually has some of the more recent classics with the Mark and the Dual Rec. Yes, the Dual Rec shares a lot with the SLO100, but let's be honest they don't sound like a SLO. Taking negative feedback out and thus creating the "Modern" sound was one of the rare new sounds to come out in the last 30 years.

And no matter what amp is being used, everyone in the metal community loves those Mesa cabinets. Let's pray they never stop making them.

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
This

Guitarists don't want innovation on the tube amp front, they want the same old thing over and over again.

Fender and Marshall just rehash their 60s circuits over and over again and remain the top brands in terms of mindshare. Others? Everything is always their take on a Marshall, Vox or Fender circuit.

Mesa actually has some of the more recent classics with the Mark and the Dual Rec. Yes, the Dual Rec shares a lot with the SLO100, but let's be honest they don't sound like a SLO. Taking negative feedback out and thus creating the "Modern" sound was one of the rare new sounds to come out in the last 30 years.

And no matter what amp is being used, everyone in the metal community loves those Mesa cabinets. Let's pray they never stop making them.
Not just the metal community. I'm a big fan of the lonestar cabinets. I own 2 of the 1x12s and honestly haven't found a way to make them sound bad yet.

Swampdog

Platinum Supporting Member
KKR owns Gibson and now Mesa Boogie too.
Not sure if it was mentioned. Apologies if repeating.
I think we will see Mesa culture/quality maintained if the pattern plays out.
There will very serious brand / intellectual property protection, just like they do with Gibson.

stay safe

manimal

A GA5T “Plus” would be sick!! A volume, tone, master, and tremolo/reverb (footswitchable) with a 10” speaker, in a tribute to the old look of the original. $1200 bam.

jujube

26 pages of outrage by folks that say "to many knobs, have to change settings every day " " a lot of ok tones no great ones" etc

Oh and of course Gibson .

And don't forget tell Randall " what I think he should do is ...."

Put your name on the side of the building and you get to make those decisions .
Outrage by people that will never buy a Boogie or Gibson anyway.... Mesa Boogie has strong brand loyalty and a great story. Hopefully, this will carry on like how other companies have done in the past after the founder's time.

Badside

Outrage by people that will never buy a Boogie or Gibson anyway.... Mesa Boogie has strong brand loyalty and a great story. Hopefully, this will carry on like how other companies have done in the past after the founder's time.
I'm a Gibson player and have a Mesa Badlander on the way. I'm still worried. Hopefully Gibson proves us wrong.

Arf

I don't know what to expect, really, but I know two things - One, big corporations don't know how to leave **** alone. And two, one of Gibson's M.O.s is, if they can't get enough people to bankrupt themselves on a guitar, they'll use Epiphone to bang one out. I'm betting within two years Wangs or someone similar will be building a line of Boogie designs under a new brand to be announced later. Production in Viet Nam has done wonders for Vox and Marshall moneywise, at least with Vox ending up with great pro level amps - not so much Marshall, but that's for another thread. What happens in Petaluma? I shudder to think, however an Asian made brand could give Gibson reason to leave the original shop the hell alone. Moving it to Nashville? I firmly believe that it's California origin is as important to Boogie's company culture as the Pacific Ocean is to California and Country Music is to Nashville. I hope Gibson agrees.

Last edited:
SMART move for Gibson to even try to compete with Fender (who's CLEANING Gibson's clock). BUT, a BAD news for Mesa Boogie, who makes "pretty good" (NOT GREAT) amps as Gibson will Totally F-up that company. Gibson is the CBS of the 2000's.

We only continue to carry Gibson (not Epiphony garbage) in our shop because some people still don't understand what hit-n-miss crap they are getting out of Nashville. I have to sell Gibson's at near full MSRP because we have to spend so much time (tech man hours) and replacement parts "fixing them" before I can sell them new. Otherwise, it will be back in days or weeks to be fixed and then my customers are pissed at us.

atomheart411

Here’s what a good friend who works there sent me.

Tom - I am not a "big shot" here, but in our company meeting, we were given the impression that the day-to-day operations here would be the same, just more well-funded and more secure into the future. I think it affects our suppliers and overseas warehousing more.

Our boss Randy will still design amps - he is already semi-retired. But the new "Badlander" was designed by John Marshall, a long-time worker here, who used to work for Metallica.”

les_paul

Tom - I am not a "big shot" here, but in our company meeting, we were given the impression that the day-to-day operations here would be the same, just more well-funded and more secure into the future. I think it affects our suppliers and overseas warehousing more.

Our boss Randy will still design amps - he is already semi-retired. But the new "Badlander" was designed by John Marshall, a long-time worker here, who used to work for Metallica.”
This is encouraging for several reasons. A) It confirms Randy is semi retired. B) It shows there is a new pool of engineering talent. C) It displays an optimistic view from the employees. D) It addresses overseas distribution which is great news for our European and Asian friends. We have enjoyed British amps for quite some time and it's good for them to get some US competition over there.

atomheart411

I don't know what to expect, really, but I know two things - One, big corporations don't know how to leave **** alone. And two, one of Gibson's M.O.s is, if they can't get enough people to bankrupt themselves on a guitar, they'll use Epiphone to bang one out. I'm betting within two years Wangs or someone similar will be building a line of Boogie designs under a new brand to be announced later. Production in Viet Nam has done wonders for Vox and Marshall moneywise, at least with Vox ending up with great pro level amps - not so much Marshall, but that's for another thread. What happens in Petaluma? I shudder to think, however an Asian made brand could give Gibson reason to leave the original shop the hell alone. Moving it to Nashville? I firmly believe that it's California origin is as important to Boogie's company culture as the Pacific Ocean is to California and Country Music is to Nashville. I hope Gibson agrees.
Yeah. That’s what I said to my friend. It would be tragedy for Mesa to no longer be the Bay Area institution it is.

Reactions: Arf

Badside

That last part is interesting, the Badlander will be my first new Mesa since the Mark IV ... Which I bought because it could do a perfect Black album tone.

Nickstrtcstr

Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger
Whenever someone in either the PRS or, Mesa/Boogie groups I am in on Facebook asks people to post photos their rigs, at least 75% have PRS guitars and Mesa amps.

Speaking for my own experience, I get it. I have played several PRS guitars through Mesa amps and the sound is phenomenal.

I say this because, the connection between PRS and Mesa goes way back. Carlos Santana being the most notable.

I really wish that it was Paul that Randall sold his company to. Hell, they even have the same last name.

I guess with PRS building amps, that would be a non starter.

Trending Topics