Gibson buying Mesa

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
IMHO, people are just going to have let it all unfold & see what transpires over the next 2 - 3 years.

It may well be a great outcome or it may not, but at this stage no one really knows, so it is all conjecture.

If it turns to $hit I'm sure some of the key Mesa Boogie designers / staff would get snapped up by other Companies.

On a more frivolous note, you can trust these people.................I can see sincere authenticity here. :p

:beer

les_paul

IMHO, people are just going to have let it all unfold & see what transpires over the next 2 - 3 years.

It may well be a great outcome or it may not, but at this stage no one really knows, so it is all conjecture.

If it turns to $hit I'm sure some of the key Mesa Boogie designers / staff would get snapped up by other Companies.

On a more frivolous note, you can trust these people.................I can see sincere authenticity here. :p

:beer
True, maybe some of the engineers could easily go but the assembly workers are probably pretty rooted where they are. The bay isn't exactly swimming in amp companies after all.

Big'Uns

Silver Supporting Member
Here’s what a good friend who works there sent me.

Tom - I am not a "big shot" here, but in our company meeting, we were given the impression that the day-to-day operations here would be the same, just more well-funded and more secure into the future. I think it affects our suppliers and overseas warehousing more.

Our boss Randy will still design amps - he is already semi-retired. But the new "Badlander" was designed by John Marshall, a long-time worker here, who used to work for Metallica.”
that John Marshall bit is real interesting.

trackerdan

My three best gigging amps are Mesa Boogies and they are from the 90's. I own a 4th but it is semi-retired until I can get it serviced. Handmade and labeled possibly an 80's vintage. Maybe I'm part of the problem. But they just sound so dang good!

Last edited:

Strat_lover

Well, given the discounts I've gotten on two Les Pauls, it would seem Gibson doesn't do it.

I'm no lawyer, but what Mesa does seems illegal from reading this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resale_price_maintenance#United_States_law

And looking here: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pricefixing.asp

"Fixing minimum resale prices are inherently illegal in the U.S."

Perhaps these smaller companies like Mesa are just flying under the government radar. Gibson is big enough so they can't play these games.
This thread is moving fast and this may have been addressed, but I figured I could have some input on this.

Mesa does not enforce their “no discount” policy, but they do strongly discourage making discounts on their products. One way to enforce this is what they called “Pre-discounted prices,” or “factory discounted prices.”

All this really meant was that their products were priced competitively (and they are, considering their USA manufacturing and tech), and the dealer made less money selling their gear at MAP compared to similarly priced products from other manufacturers. This was an alternative to the norm in the music industry, which was to bake-in some wiggle room for the dealer.

Honestly, having worked music retail, I wish more vendors adopted this approach. This industry and autos seem to be the last frontier for “working the deal,” and it is exhausting for all parties.

James Freeman

So what's the general consensus?
Gibson will take down Mesa to the ground like every other company they bought?
Maybe even dump their financial issues on Mesa?

So what's the general consensus?
Gibson will take down Mesa to the ground like every other company they bought?
Maybe even dump their financial issues on Mesa?
Who knows, but you could be excused for thinking that the new Gibson management might have wanted to concentrate on core business for a while instead of getting straight back to Henry J’s modus operandi.

DrRaoulDuke

IKR, ,Dinesh at the Hollywood store is awesome, he helped me with my Fillmore purchase on Reverb
Same experience. Dinesh called me after I placed my Badlander order not just to tell me about when I should expect it but to just basically geek out about the amp and other gear for about 20 minutes. Also, great experience with their tech support.

DonaldDemon

Mesa cabs are extremely rigid and well made. Tolex work is exceptional. My 43 year old Mark I is still in near perfect shape. i.e. Tolex not peeling apart.
I've always felt the same. I've never seen such great tolex work and durability. I can't recall seeing any of it coming unglued, separating at the seams, easily torn, etc. It's astounding, especially when compared to some of my other amps with poor tolex work, some even boutique.

BMX

Hopefully Gibson understands that Mesa‘s core competency is not only making innovative high quality amps but also providing really high quality service. Responding to emails, answering the phone, having useful manuals and website, being able to buy parts/Footswitches for discontinued models etc.

I just hope they don’t try to simplify the line and bundle the service into the main company. I don’t want a cheaper Mesa, I want things to stay how they are while keeping the same employees and design and innovation and updates.

Trending Topics