Gibson buying Mesa

John C

Gold Supporting Member
EBMM does not currently make amps.
My bad; a few years ago they rebooted their hybrid amps. Must not have been a success.
I believe that EBMM partnered with someone in Europe to reboot them - maybe MarkBass if I'm remembering correctly - but they never could find anyone to sell/distribute them in the USA so they were only in Europe and part of the rest of the world. I wasn't sure if they had pulled the plug on them either, but I guess no surprise since they could never get them to the USA.

Regarding Mesa and Gibson - this is the first major acquisition for the current Gibson company, so to me it's a bit of a wait and see. If they handle Mesa in the way it was described to the employees (per the post a few pages back) then it should be okay. But over the years Gibson doesn't have a good history with their acquisitions so we'll just have to see what happens. I can see them utilizing Mesa's designers to develop a Gibson and/or Epiphone branded MIC amp line. Hell, even PRS has an MIC line as well as their USA line.

lpd

Silver Supporting Member
See that comment...that is what gets me.
When I got into MI every jackass consultant tried to put a bug in the owners ear that "...it's like an idealized Marshall BUT reliable".
Funnily enough of the insane amount of 70s Marshalls I had over the years, and had on the road even without flight cases...one...ONE...needed a transformer replaced. And that was because some one tripped over the speaker cable unplugging it while it ran full tilt.

Now all the boutique stuff did not fare as well, particularly everything guys talk about around here as build to last

I mean i played amazing sounding amps that carrying across the living room would fall apart...it ain't that bad.
But it sure is no gear to not have spares with you.
Goes for modellers too...

Side note there are places in the world where even a power conditioner is no match for what comes out of the wall...and that is the reason stuff should be overbuilt or at least sufficiently fused. A screen resistor us NOT a fuse.
My ‘73 Mesa prototype would agree :) iIRC the previous owner played the living hell out of this amp, toured and gigged weekly before my acquisition of it.

Big'Uns

Silver Supporting Member
Man the Facebook comments for both Mesa and Gibson announcements are overwhelmingly brutal. I wonder how much of that was anticipated.

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
Man the Facebook comments for both Mesa and Gibson announcements are overwhelmingly brutal. I wonder how much of that was anticipated.
I wonder what Mesa employees think after reading what’s been overwhelmingly negative reaction across social and forums.

DRS

I've wanted a Mesa Boogie amp since I saw this ad way back when (1979?)
Wanted that Les Paul, too.

To me, Boogie always stood for an uncompromising level of professional quality. I always knew that any Mesa product was pro quality and not some piece of consumer garbage made to turn a quick profit. Can't say that for many other manufacturers.

I finally bought a MkV25 when they first came out and I was not disappointed although a lot of manufacturers would've assumed that a low watt, lunch box head was for hobbyists and therefore a candidate for cost saving and cutting corners. Not Mesa.

I just hope the "new" Mesa keeps their old philosophies intact.

wilson1

My 2 cents says this is probably ok. Randall is 75 so you can't blame him. Gibson doesn't make amplifiers anymore (to my knowledge). Everyone seems to speak highly of the new owners of Gibson so maybe it will work.

fusgtr

See that comment...that is what gets me.
When I got into MI every jackass consultant tried to put a bug in the owners ear that "...it's like an idealized Marshall BUT reliable".
Funnily enough of the insane amount of 70s Marshalls I had over the years, and had on the road even without flight cases...one...ONE...needed a transformer replaced. And that was because some one tripped over the speaker cable unplugging it while it ran full tilt.

Now all the boutique stuff did not fare as well, particularly everything guys talk about around here as build to last

I mean i played amazing sounding amps that carrying across the living room would fall apart...it ain't that bad.
But it sure is no gear to not have spares with you.
Goes for modellers too...

Side note there are places in the world where even a power conditioner is no match for what comes out of the wall...and that is the reason stuff should be overbuilt or at least sufficiently fused. A screen resistor us NOT a fuse.
On another note it wasn't my intention to be offensive or a jackass which you characterized me indirectly...

Chances are, this guy bought a defective amp from the factory. It could happen to everything, even in a brand new luxury car.
I'm not a Mesa worker to try to sell something to someone, you get?
The fact is Boogies are far superior in construction department from the most of the amps out there. An electronic engineer which is serious, experienced and well informed could confirm this to anyone.
And as much as i like old Marshalls with their iconic and godly tone the most of them back then were unreliable and poor constructed.

Generally, script are much more different from speech because there is no expression, so we have to be carefull when we call someone a jackass even if it is indirectly. After all is a matter of education.
Pfff....

Last edited:

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
On another note it wasn't my intention to be offensive or a jackass which you characterized me indirectly...

Chances are, this guy bought a defective amp from the factory. It could happen to everything, even in a brand new luxury car.
I'm not a Mesa worker to try to sell something to someone, you get?
The fact is Boogies are far superior in construction department from the most of the amps out there. An electronic engineer which is serious, experienced and well informed could confirm this to anyone.
And as much as i like old Marshalls with their iconic and godly tone the most of them back then were unreliable and poor constructed.

Generally, script are much more different from speech because there is no expression, so we have to be carefull when we call someone a jackass even if it is indirectly. After all is a matter of education.
Pfff....
Actually i did not imply or intent to say you're a jackass but the consultants i know that uttered the nonsense were...i meant exactly that.

Why are you trying to keep going back to saying an amps construction is far superior to most other amps?
If you need an electronic engineer to confirm this then it's even more dire.

A tube amp isn't rocket science, and what is your source of most Marshalls back in the day being unreliable?
Repeating opinions does not make it. Fact.
How many vintage Marshalls gave failed you? How many gigs a year on your Mesa without failure.

And which guy you think I'm referring to as having bought a lemon? My examples were my first hand experience.

fusgtr

Actually i did not imply or intent to say you're a jackass but the consultants i know that uttered the nonsense were...i meant exactly that.

Why are you trying to keep going back to saying an amps construction is far superior to most other amps?
If you need an electronic engineer to confirm this then it's even more dire.

A tube amp isn't rocket science, and what is your source of most Marshalls back in the day being unreliable?
Repeating opinions does not make it. Fact.
How many vintage Marshalls gave failed you? How many gigs a year on your Mesa without failure.

And which guy you think I'm referring to as having bought a lemon? My examples were my first hand experience.
I thought you were referring to me, no problem.
I play 40 years the 30 as a pro and from my experience and from other musicians friends (which are the most of them pros) Marshalls are more likely to failure than Boogies but this is not an argument i try to raise. Again, to my knowledge and generally speaking, Marshalls are not reliable especially the older ones. The last "newer" one i played was the jcm 2000 several years ago, so i don't have experience with the current models or reissues.

les_paul

This is utter horse ****.

Marshalls fail due to user error and mishandling.
What about the poorly designed DSLs and TSLs where the boards became conductive when they got hot? I'd hardly say an amp that can't make it through a gig without dropping in volume is user error when it was clearly poorly designed.

JPH118

I believe that EBMM partnered with someone in Europe to reboot them - maybe MarkBass if I'm remembering correctly - but they never could find anyone to sell/distribute them in the USA so they were only in Europe and part of the rest of the world. I wasn't sure if they had pulled the plug on them either, but I guess no surprise since they could never get them to the USA.
I forgot all bout that, yes they were made in Italy by MarkBass under license, never saw one in the US... they were featured on the EBMM website for a time but then vanished.

Doesn't matter. A Les Paul through a Marshall is the sound. The only way thats going to change is to have an original "artist" make the Les Paul / Mesa Boogie combination sound better.

Wyzard

Gold Supporting Member
My three best gigging amps are Mesa Boogies and they are from the 90's. Maybe I'm part of the problem. But they just sound so dang good!
My favourites are from the '70s, '80s and 1990; and they sound better than almost anything Mesa has ever done subsequently IMO. IOW: MkIIA, MkIIB Coliseum, MkIIC+, MkIII black dot/X and MkIV(A).

OTOH, the much later King Snake is quite something too, and persuaded me to sell my MkI RI after I got to know their respective vices and virtues.

shermanator

What about the poorly designed DSLs and TSLs where the boards became conductive when they got hot? I'd hardly say an amp that can't make it through a gig without dropping in volume is user error when it was clearly poorly designed.
Thousands of gig hours have gone off without a hitch through dsl/tsl amps produced in the 'bad years'. Isolated incidents within a brief production period doesn't mean Marshall amps are overwhelmingly unreliable; also, that some amps had the issue doesn't mean it happened to all of the dsl/tsl amps from that bemoaned production period.

Based on my years of ownership & observation actually touring with & seeing these amps as staples of rock guitar rigs and backlines, I disagree with the idea that all dsl/tsl are clunkers doomed to fail; I also stand by my assertion that user error is likely involved in many instances of these failures. I've pushed these amps hard (& properly maintained them) and had zero issues with a 2000 dsl & 1999 tsl.

Anyhow, somewhat humorously, the post i quoted is dogging the reliability of Marshall amps before the dsl/tsl amps you reference, ie 'older ones'.

'Older' marshalls i own or have owned, including 81 2203, 78 2203, 93 1959slp & 68 1959t have been nothing short of bulletproof and reliable. Again, failures are often due to abuse, user error or mishandling even if the user doesn't understand or acknowledge their error. Theres a reason user error is a thing & most guilty of it don't like to admit when they've ****ed the pooch and ruined an instrument due to their lack of understanding or foresight. How many Marshalls failed because someone let a hack tech 'service' or mod it? That's user error too.

I also acknowledge that sometimes things just happen even if the user is doing everything properly. But this thread is about Mesa...

I just had to point out that to my first-hand knowledge and generally speaking, Marshall amplifiers are very reliable.

lns

Would be fun if Gibson forced all Mesa endorsees to play Gibsons. Imagine John Petrucci with an explorer or Flying V

kakev

I thought you were referring to me, no problem.
I play 40 years the 30 as a pro and from my experience and from other musicians friends (which are the most of them pros) Marshalls are more likely to failure than Boogies but this is not an argument i try to raise. Again, to my knowledge and generally speaking, Marshalls are not reliable especially the older ones. The last "newer" one i played was the jcm 2000 several years ago, so i don't have experience with the current models or reissues.
Nah, Marshall are reliable workhorses. They’ve had some poor designs jtm30, dsl maybe, but by and large your general statement about marshall quality is so wrong that it seems silly.

Trending Topics