Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman: Can you play rockabilly on it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by g335, Feb 23, 2009.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

The Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman, can you play rockabilly on it or would a Gretsch be better suited?

Help

2. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Pretty much the same guitar!

3. g335

g335 Member

So the pickups on it are Gibson's attempt to replicate the Grestch sound?

4. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Neck Pickup: 492R Alnico humbucker
    Bridge Pickup: 490T Alnico humbucker

No.
    Get the Gretsch.

Edit: It'll get you Scotty Moore (with some work), but not Eddie Cochran.

Edit pt II: For Rockabilly you're gonna want a 6120 or for Cliff Gallup stuff a Dynasonic loaded Duo Jet....not a Country Gent anyway.

Edit pt III: The Gibson Gent and the Gretsch Gent (any of the many variations) are nothing alike.

5. g335

g335 Member

Does it have to be a Grestch 6120 or can you use a Tennessee Rose?

6. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

You can play rockabilly on any guitar, if you can play rockabilly.

7. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

HA! Took the words out of my mouth.

:rotflmao

8. g335

g335 Member

Sorry, what I mean which guitar to get that classic rockabilly sound, I like more of the Brian Setzer sound. I like the Tennessee Rose, so can you get the sound with that guitar?

9. Ogre

Ogre Member

It is not the same guitar. The Gretsch has different pickups, which give it a distinct sound, one I find superior. Why Gibson ever made that guitar is a mystery to me.

10. sonicD

sonicD Member

Plenty of people play rockabilly on Telecasters. Reverend is another brand popular with rockabilly players. But there's no doubt about it, the Gretschs are the Kings of 'Billy. Hell, the only reason Gibson makes the Country Gentleman is because back in the early 80's they wooed Chet away from Gretsch. At the time, Gretsch was foundering under Baldwin's ownership, and as always, money talked. Go get yourself a big fat 6120 and have some fun!

11. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Yeah, I know, and thought about coming back for edit pt IV to say the same thing. I was assuming g355 was looking for the classic rockabilly sound in the Gibson Gent. If so, that's just not the best guitar for it.

sonicD is right on all counts, but if you can't swing a 6120, then a Tennesse Rose or Anniversary is a good second choice for a bit less. For solidbodies nothing beats a good '50s style Tele, or like I mentioned earlier, a Dynasonic loaded Duo Jet w/Bigsby.

12. dhdfoster

Well, in my opinion, the Brian Setzer/6120 w/Filtertrons sound is not the classic rockabilly sound, but that’s a whole other discussion in itself. You should check out Gretschpages.com. There are some real Setzer fanatics over there and there are also some folks who really know their Gretsches.

13. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Setzer's guitar would have no problem producing the classic rockabilly sound, Setzer's amps on the other hand...

But, to each his own I guess.

14. dhdfoster

Very true, I guess I just don't think of Filtertrons as that "classic" sound because they came along later. Eddie Cochran and Cliff Gallup, for instance had Gretshces with Dynas.

To get back to the question, Setzer also plays Falcons, which have a different body, internal bracing, and scale than his 6120, and it still sounds just like him.

15. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

I agree. To me Cliff Gallup is the guy.
    If I could run out and get a Gretsch right now it would be a fixed arm Duo Jet. But, alas.....

16. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Do you already have the Gibson?
    If so,TV Jones makes Filtertron spec'ed pu's that are designed to fit the standard humbucker mounting. Check his site for more info.

17. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I may be the only one, but I love my Gibson Chet Atkins :)

18. Bananafist

Bananafist Member

There is a clip on youtube of Scotty Moore playing his own model Gibson, (effectively a Gibson CG,) through a Butts Echosonic amp and I think it sounds like rockabilly.......................he is one of the guys that invented it!
    Incidentally Atkins moved to Gibson when Gretsch/Baldwin folded, and their guitars were very poorly built-not about money, read his book Me and My Guitars.

Look for Scotty Moore and the echosonic amp on youtube.
    Its all about the player and the hands.
    :cool:

19. toasteroven

toasteroven Member

Ever play one of the Gibsons? If you had, you might have realized why they made them.

20. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Me too. It's a surprisingly versatile guitar that can bridge a variety of styles. So, yeah, you can play rockabilly on the Country Gent. And I'll bet you can find old rockabilly guitarists of lesser fame playing all sorts of guitars.

Isn't the 6120 a hollowbody? The Country Gent is a semisolid, so it is more like a long-scale 335 with a Bigsby. Also, the Gibson PUs are different from the old Gretsches. I would love to have a 6120, but went with an Ibanez Artcore AFS-75TD for the hollowbody-Bigsby sound and much cheaper price.

You go cat!