Gibson Collectors Choice3 (the babe) VS Teye La India E series?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pguitars, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Pguitars

Pguitars Member

i Doubt weeks between these to.... Anyone Experience with these babies?

2. Pguitars

Pguitars Member

3. diablo2112

diablo2112 Member

I've played both, and currently own 3 Teye guitars: a 2010 La Llama, a 2012 La India S-Series, and a 2012 La Mora E-series.

Both the Teye and the Gibson play fantastically well. I'm partial to the Teye's, but that's nothing against the Gibson. They are completely different guitars. The Gibson has a standard nut width and a 24.75" scale. The Teye has a wider nut and a longer, 25.5" scale. I find I now prefer the longer scale and wider nut on the Teye. Tone-wise, the Teye is stunning, just stunning.

Given the cost of either of these models, you really should try to examine and play both. There's an active Teye dealer in Europe, and he attends many shows with several Teye models. You can find him on facebook book under "Teye Guitars for Europe".

mrfett likes this.
  4. Pguitars

Pguitars Member

Do you had also made a comparison (or someone else) to a collings I35 deluxe?

5. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Member

Both are excellent. I own 3 Teye's and 4 Les Paul's and they all sound great.

What I love about my Teye's is the versatility, I can make it sound like a Les Paul but also get more stratty like sounds and however you set the controls or pickup selector, a great sound is garanteed. The playabilty is fantastic once you get to know the neck. Truly some of the best guitars I've ever owned. And they look great!

I've always wanted a sunburst Les Paul and a Fiesta Red Strat and nothing is gonna beat that feeling of playing a classic like that. I'm blessed to have some of the best guitars I can imagine but if I had to chose one guitar for the rest of my life, it would be my Teye La India-Mora 2P.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    mrfett likes this.
  6. ianrodia

ianrodia Member

Not much to add...except some of those Teyes are sooo cool looking.

mrfett likes this.
  7. Pguitars

Pguitars Member

And the Collings I-35? total other guitar ofcourse.... but i need a good rock/pop/rock n roll baby

8. goodwater

goodwater Member

I've struggled between Teyes and Gibsons as well...the Teyes won

9. AD

AD Supporting Member

I owned the Babe and it is a really nice guitar. If you like big necks, cc#3 is a good fit (0.93-0.94" at the 1st fret)

10. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

I've not played the Babe but have owned many Historic LPs...I've sold off just about everything else to buy a Teye La Perla and La India with no regrets. The longer scale and seemingly endless rich tones make them the ultimate guitars for me. The only downside is now they're the only guitars I'm interested in...

mrfett likes this.
  11. mrfett

mrfett Member

One of the things that I'd take into consideration is value. There are two ways to think about it. The CCs are cool guitars, but the uncharge is for a finish option that simulates some other guitar's worn finish. My Teyes have completely custom finishes that no other guitar in the world has, and the finish type itself is fairly unique in the world of electric guitars. The hardware is custom, the pickups are high-end boutique, the appointments are custom, the electronics are custom and unavailable anywhere else.

Now the other side to that coin is resale value, and the truth is you can't flip boutique custom guitars quickly and not lose money like you can sometimes do with a Gibson.

But for me, there's no way I'd pay the upcharge for a CC's finish option when I can go with a Teye and get so much more for my money. The regular Standard Historics are the same guitars.

I love playing short scale guitars, and I love their tone. The Teye's offer something else you can't get in the short scale world though. I enjoy having a Gibson and Fender, but a Teye is something special IMO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Davesnothere and frisco kid like this.
  12. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

I happen to think they're as ugly as a Parker Fly.

13. ianrodia

ianrodia Member

Right on, buddy!

14. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Apples & jackfruit IMO. Very different guitars LPs & Teyes. Some similarities, I had a hard on for a Teye when I first played one years ago, but in the end, for ME, my Les Pauls still rule the roost.

Teyes are super versatile with the Mood knob, which is quite cool, BUT - there is no substitute for a top notch Lester IMO.

BADHAK likes this.
  15. Dashface

Dashface Member

In other news, a Concord!? I thought I was the only person who had one of those :D

16. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

Behind a Killer Les Paul Somewhere in Japan
    Love my Babe... wouldn't dream of trading it for a Teye...

17. mrfett

mrfett Member

Different strokes...

I know Teye's aren't for everyone, but if you dig how they look you owe it to yourself to feel how they play and hear how they sound.

frisco kid likes this.
  18. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

I don't have a collectors choice #3 but I do own a 2005 Murphy R9, as well as a vintage 1957 Les Paul Custom. And my Teye guitars are A series rather than E series, so I can't answer the OP's question directly, but I'll give my thoughts regarding a general comparison between a LP and a Teye.

I love my Black Beauty. It sounds amazing and is a killer example of what I consider to be the coolest guitar Gibson ever made, but the Konstantinopolis gets that same deep, rich clean tone (actually the Teye beats the LP on clean tone) and overdriven bite no problem. In fact, with Teye's electronics, I can make them sound virtually identical. Likewise, I can ape the Murphy's tone as well just by quickly twiddling a couple of knobs. In my opinion, that alone is a monumental achievement for a luthier. The fact that I can also dial in the tone of my vintage 1962 SG Custom and my 1967 Tele just puts it over the top.

Feel wise, the Teye definitely has its own thing happening which is different than a vintage Gibson. I happen to love the big neck and wider nut. Much much easier for me to play than the SG.

Hope that helps :)

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    frisco kid and mrfett like this.
  19. ChelseaD

ChelseaD Member

OMG those Gibsons and the Tele are gorgeous. The 3 PU LP has got to be the greatest guitar ever. My thing with these Teyes is that I have not really ever HEARD one.There are so few out there among bands, and the only place I ever seen one played is by the owner Teye himself; and while he might build nice guitars, the man is tone deaf and can not play a lick. I still don't know if they are fine guitars. They are amazing in detail, and in materials. But it seems it's the materials, and the detailed craftmanship that one pays for. If the guitar were a chair or a table, it probably would cost just as much. This one happens to plug in, and make some chords. Maybe I don't get it; maybe they are supposed to be visual pieces.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  20. mrfett

mrfett Member

They have a brighter, sharper tone than a Gibson. The longer scale length and different neck joint make them more akin to an SG than a LP. They have very useful tone shaping controls that let you thicken up the sound or enjoy a more single coil type sound.

There are some good demos out there of them. They don't sound like Les Pauls (especially not with all the controls opened up).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    frisco kid likes this.