• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Gibson "Conservatory"

stahlhart

Asking here because my memory got jogged today, and extensive searching online has come up empty.

About 40 years ago, for a few months I owned a Gibson electric that had the name "Conservatory" on the truss rod cover, that I purchased used.

It had an ES style body with a cherry sunburst finish, dot markers on the fretboard, and two single coil pickups that were not P-90s but more like those of a Strat -- the pickups were under black plastic covers with no exposed polepieces, and were mounted to the body with a chrome plated oval ring. It had one volume and one tone control, two slide switches for the pickups, and all of these were mounted on a Telecaster-ish chrome plate that sat below the lower sound hole. Tuners, I think, were button Klusons with pressed bushings.

Anyone else ever seen one of these? I looked for a photo, but couldn't find one, nor could I find anything in writing about this guitar.

Artie Fisk

What you’re describing is an early-70s Gibson ES-320, or another model in that family. I’ve never seen one with “conservatory” on the truss rod cover. That would probably have been a custom thing. Maybe it belonged to a conservatory music program somewhere?

stahlhart

That's the one -- thank you!!! I never knew, or forgot, about the model number. It's just been so many years.

Here's another example, now that you've provided a search clue:

I can't remember now for certain if mine had the dark binding, but I think it did.

Thanks again for helping solve this mystery...

sidekick

Silver Supporting Member
Ah yes, the Gibson ES 320. Used to own a cherry one in the mid 70's with the black binding as on the video above.

If I recall correctly, another UK forum member here posted of one he has, that, (needing quite a bit of work) he upgraded somewhat.

Trending Topics