Gibson CS 1960 LP Special DC ($2,800) vs. Gibson LP Faded DC ($850)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JoeNewbie, Oct 9, 2008.

1. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

I've been looking for a cheap guitar with P90s and was wondering about the LP Faded DC.

To me, it looks almost exactly the same as the Custom Shop DC, at a fraction of the price. Other than the bridge and the finish, everything else looks consistent.

What do you think about these two instruments?

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I sold my Les Paul DC faded. The custom shop is probably a lot better. BUt seriously, look at a Reverend. I have the Jetstream with three p-90's, exquisite guitar.

3. 3th3r

3th3r Member

There are other differences such as the Bumblebee caps and CTS pots, binding on the neck, holly veneer on the headstock, gloss nitro, etc. In addition, the Custom shop version will likely have a one-piece, lighter weight body.

These differences are worth the price to some people, and not to others. YOu have to decide for yourself. AND, most important of all, you have to play them both. The price of a guitar DOES NOT determine how it will play or sound.

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Skip both and get a 90's Special with a proper finish for about the same as you'd pay for that DC Faded. They're all over eBay. You'll have to swap out the P-100's for P-90's, but end result is that you'll have a better guitar than the Faded, and a comparible, but cheaper one than the Custom Shop model.

5. strat6866

strat6866 Member

OP said he is looking for a "cheap p-90 guitar". I recently bought an LP Faded DC and love it. Lightweight and great tone. Just doesnt have all the flashy extras. Paid $450 used, great deal IMO.

Another nice one for short $$ is the MIM Fender Thinline RI. Very similar to the gibson tones with the Tele feel.

6. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

+1. I'm just swapping out the TOM....the previous owner was kind enough to do the pickup swap.

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

When you put a wraparound on it, what happens? Do you gotta drill another hole for the bridge and just leave two holes where the stop bar used to be?