Gibson CS-356 showed up today!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fjs1962, Aug 9, 2005.

1. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've been wanting one of these for a while and finally pulled the trigger. It looks so beautiful I just had to share :) This one is finished in custom color honeyburst. Tonally it falls somewhere between a 335 and Les Paul with a little archtop woodiness mixed in. I've got a feeling it's going to be a keeper!

[​IMG]

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

that is georgous. shame on you for buying a new gibby:D

3. matte

matte Senior Member

My fave new Gibson guitars since the L5S. Beautiful!

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

I agree....great color!

5. boog204

boog204 Supporting Member

totally dig those... nice score.

6. A440

A440 Supporting Member

great axe. I have one in Faded Cherry :)

7. fjs1962

How do you like the neck on yours? Thats the only thing that is a little worrysome for me right now. I'm used to Suhr Big Vs and PRS wide/fats, and this neck is more of a slim C shape. Not super slim, probably medium in size, but the back carve is a lot flatter than my other guitars.

Still, the looks and sound of this thing might make it worth the adjustment. It really sounds sweet!

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

That's gorgeous awesome top!

9. A440

A440 Supporting Member

yeah, I like PRS WF's too. I compared directly to a std 335 (very skinny neck) and also a Historic 335 before I decided on it. Specs say neck is 60's slim, but mine is on the fatter side. IMO, more like some of the 50's necks I've tried on some LP's (not as fat as an R7). They are hand finished, so they do vary a bit. I'm not crazy about the stock pickups. Am thinking Seth's or Antiquities.

[​IMG]

10. fjs1962

The neck on mine is thicker than, say, a LP Classic or 61RI SG. You're right, it's probably closer to one of the 50's neck LP Standard necks. I tried one of the ones with the 50's neck first but sent it back as it was too big. I have a R7 with a neck on the slim side (for a R7) and the 50's neck 356 I tried was bigger than that! This one with the regular 60s neck is much easier to play. It seems like if I play it for 30 minutes or so I don't notice the difference until I go back to one of my other guitars.

So far I'm OK with the 57 Classics. They have a certain sound that I like, although I did change the ones that came in my R7 for Burstbuckers. I would like to hear the 356 with either the Duncans you suggested or even with some Fralins, but it sure would be a pain to swap pickups in the 356.

11. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I have a CS336, in 3 tone burst, with the 50's fatter neck and loaded with Duncan Seth Lovers. Eye and Ear candy!
    Great guitar!
    S.
    j

12. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Sweet guitars, guys...! :dude :dude :dude

13. Den

Den Member

Wow ... that's beautiful! I almost pulled the trigger on an almost identical 356, but instead went with its cousin ... a Johnny A. That 356 sure would look good along side my Johnny A and Suhr:

[​IMG]

14. fjs1962

How is the neck on the Johnny A compared to a 336/356 neck? What do you think of the 25.5 scale on a guitar like that?

15. Den

Den Member

The neck on the Johnny A is, for me, the most comfortable neck I've ever played. It's got a more substantial feel than 336/ 356 necks I've tried, although I do remember a 336 with a heavier neck I liked a lot. I like this neck so much that I'm thinking of having John Suhr copy it for me on another guitar. (The neck on my Suhr is his 60's C medium, which I also love a lot, but the JA is a just a bit more comfortable.)

The scale length for me was the most important thing. As a strat player for so many years, I could never bond with most Gibsons I tried. It wasn't necessarily the feel, but the clarity of the notes. To my simple mind and ears, it's easy to add distortion or OD and "muddy" up your tone a bit, but I really love to hear the clarity that comes with the longer scale length.

I had dreamed of a guitar that would give me great Gibson tones from a 335 vibe to something LP'ish, but with clean tones that gave me what I love from my strats ... the Johnny A has given me all of that and more. It's hard to believe how easily it goes from fat jazzy stuff to fat hollowbody stuff to screaming rock. Of course it's lightweight and I think it's really beautiful. I've never had so many people comment on the beauty of a guitar before this. It really is the perfect compliment to my Suhr.

16. Timster

Timster Member

Here's my cs336. Great sounding guitar, especially with some darkburst pickups.

[​IMG]

17. Den

Den Member

That's beautiful, Timster!

18. fjs1962

Well it looks like I'm going to send my 356 back. Shame too, because it sounds and looks great. I just can't play the slim neck without my hand cramping up. If anyone likes slim necks and wants a killer 356 it will be back at Wildwood in a couple of days. :(

19. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Sweet! My CS336 looks just like that.
    Yours is 3 tone burst, right?
    What a nice guit!
    S.
    j

20. Timster

Timster Member

Don't know if it's 3 tone or not. All I know is it's a vintage sunburst.

great axe!