Gibson Custom 68 Reissue - Not a Loved Guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Harle, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Harle

Harle Member

I've been given a Gibson Les Paul Custom 'Historical' 68 reissue with a featured top, made in 2003. It's in immaculate condition, played twice, kept in it's case under a bed since it was purchased.
    It's heavy, got a larger neck than my Peter Frampton LP, but has a fantastic tone and sustain. But I just can't love it.
    I've been on all sites imaginable, and found that For Sale 68 RIs are quite few, but the prices are very low in comparison to 58 RI, and considerably less than a new custom LP.
    What I'd appreciate is knowing is why the 68 is not comparable to other Les Paul Customs, why it doesn't hold value.
    Thanks

2. Bogner

Bogner Member

It is simply not as desirable to Les Paul folks. Why is the 59 so popular? I always liked 58's better personally. Anyway, it is a nice guitar and I have one and I love it for what it is. I also prefer big necks and many people do not. You either love or hate a 68 IMO. Post pics!

3. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

I wonder what a "featured top" is?

4. NativH

NativH Member

I had a couple. Seemed like a LP Custom that wanted to look like a flametop R9. To me, Customs are either white, black or cherry red. My 68's were a blond flametop and a antique sunburst flametop. Very pretty, somewhat heavy, Custom's that I never really bonded with.

5. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

I like them. I did shop for a few, but a lil pricey at that time of.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

If it's the black one with an ebony board and 'Custom' style binding, I love them. They're built exactly like the other Historic's, and all I've played sounded great.

They can run a bit heavy, some as much as 10+ lbs., and that combined with a plain black top limits their appeal a bit, but it's as good as any other Historic LP in the Gibson line-up, and especially appealing if it's a decent weight.

7. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

I like them a lot, I think it's the only way to get a solid body custom (not weight relieved).

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

No Historic's are weight relieved aside from the few 'chambered' versions they build.

9. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

yeah that's what I'm saying. If you want a LP custom and want it to be solid body you're looking at a 68RI, OR a norlin era (which is a turn off for me on acct of the pancake bodies, and other less desirable characteristics).

the only thing I was unsure of is whether or not any other customs are 100% solid (outside of norlins)

10. ixnay

ixnay Member

Non-Historic Customs are (traditional) weight relieved like most other Les Pauls going back to about 1981.

11. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

It's a weird model in that Lesters from 68 were never very consistent, tended to be heavy and had the Norlin-era stylings that don't necessarily live up the magic that are associated with 50s models.

There has always been a rumor that some 68 Lesters were actually leftover 50s era bodies that sat on the rack when they were discontinued. I've played a lot of Norlin Lesters made between 68 and 75 and the 68 RI is very true to them. Of course, those LPs are a very select taste. For someone who loves a 50s RI I can't imagine them loving the heavier body and less airy tone.

I recently gigged with a Mid-70s LP Custom, and they have a magic from being worn in for 40 years, but I wouldn't necessarily take any guitar made in the Norlin-era mold over the great stuff Nashville has been putting out over the last 10-15 years.

Hey, you got it for a great price so who cares? They are great sounding guitars. I especially loved the orange burst!

12. ixnay

ixnay Member

There are also R4 and R7 Customs that are solid, but they are all mahogany instead of having a maple cap.

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Gotcha. Another like that is the '54 RI Custom Historic with P-90's (A-5 neck) and they sound fantastic, but with their solid mahogany bodies can also run heavy. Mine is 9.75 lbs., but is such a tonal beast that you immediately forget about the weight as soon as you hit the first note! Besides, it feels fine with a slightly wider strap.

14. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I love mine. I have owned it for 12 years, its an exceptional 2002.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top looks like gathered yellow silk. It has Lollar Imperial pickups and sounds truly spectacular. So good, in fact, that a music store owner that has a real 59 burst said it was one of the finest LP's he has ever played.

It is heavy, but balanced. It has been well played, so the gold has faded and it has a few dings now.

Here it is beside a Norlin era Custom I was restoring for a friend.

[​IMG]

15. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Not desirable ?

Your joking right ?

68RI is the King of Les Pauls.

Your lucky if you find one cause they don't make to many of them:dude

Here's my 2010 68RI in Ebony :aok

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

Someone gave it to you? That's awesome! I love the look of those guitars. I've always thought that apart from a G0 or R0 that would be my dream Lester.

17. jgyn

jgyn Member

I'd LOVE to own one!

18. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

What's not to love?

19. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

Those things are awesome. I'd love to have one.

20. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

They're about to do a true '68 RI in 2015. It's about time.

As for the old ones, I've always wanted one of those ebony/nickel Customs. Killer.