1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Gibson Custom ES-137 Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sniffyduke, Sep 16, 2008.

1. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

Looks like a Beautifull guitar. (I assume it's a Jazz Guitar)

I am Really sold on the blue color that is avalible. If I switched the pickups to 57 classics could this guitar be used for rock? Playing out of a Matchless Clubman with Vintage Orange 4X12. Or do I just go get an es-335.
    But I don't think they make this color. If anyone has played one, hows the action if it's set up professionally.

[​IMG]

2. dunara

dunara Member

I have a 135 with '57s which is awesome for rock:dude. These guitars have the same basic construction as a 335. However they don't balance quite as well - a large wide strap is essential - and access to the topmost frets is more limited. A 137 or 135 is cheaper to buy, however - and they look great! The stock pickups on a 137 are the 490R and 498T. They'll work fine, IMO - '57s are slightly better when A-B'd, but don't expect a huge 'tonal leap' when you swap them out.

3. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

The 490R/498T pickups that come in the 137's are a "rock" pickup... Gibson has put 'em in an awful lot of LP's over the years. They're fairly hot, and push the 137 closer to LP territory than a jazzbox or 335. I dig my 137 Classic, but the pickups seem hotter to me than the Burstbucker Pros in my LP.

4. burchyk

burchyk Member

i think 490R and 498T work best for med to high gain, not so good for low gain and clean tones IMHO

5. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

Thanks, Is it Hollow body or Semi?

Are the actions nice?

And what is the thickness of the body compared to an es-335

6. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

Top most fret is limited. How limited? as long as I Can get to the 12th through 15 I'll be fine. Is this Close?

7. burchyk

burchyk Member

8. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a 137 Custom (57 classics) that I play thru a Matchless Chieftain. I have no problems playing rock on it, but this axe really excels at BB King / Setzer / Thorogood stuff.

Stormin!