Gibson Custom Shop CoA - How Difficult to Obtain?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Troubleman, May 28, 2008.

1. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

A similar question on the Fender CS got me thinkin'...
    The original owner of my '54 Reissue Oxblood lost the CoA. Anybody tried to get a duplicate from the Gibson Custom Shop? Are those folks reasonable?

thanks,

jb

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I got a replacement for mine. I was the original owner. They just had me verify the serial number and where I bought it. I don't know how much harder it is if you're not the original owner. Call them and ask.

3. codeorama

codeorama Member

Go to Gibson's forums, I needed a replacement for a historic once, got it along with the other case candy within a few days. They are great.

4. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

I was able to get one - gave the serial number, was not able to give the original purchase place, since I wasn't the original owner. Told the CS Rep on the phone that it had been a gift from my ex-wife, and I had no idea where she'd gotten it, and really didn't want to call her to ask - had the CoA in a week.

5. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I've had 3 Gibson Custom Shop guitars and 1 Historic Reissue and never got a CoA on any of them. I only have 1 Gibson now, a Les Paul Elegant, and it has a big Custom Shop logo on the front of the headstock.

6. greuvin

greuvin Member

I asked Gibson Customer Service about this recently. They said there was too much fraud going on with the COAs and that now you need to ship them the guitar so they can confirm it is real. I guess this only applies if you are NOT the original owner.

7. hardys

hardys Member

I was thinking of buying a G0 (60s plain top Lester made for GC) from Guitar Center and the COA for that guitar had been lost. GC told me that the only way Gibson would issue another one was for GC to ship it back to Gibson to verify authenticity. I ended up passing on the guitar.

8. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

That is 100% not true. The sales guy can call the custom shop and get the COA overnighted to you if it needs to be. I have been through that scenario plenty of times sadly. GC has a hard time with those sometimes due to the way they used to store the cases. It is a lot better now. But not perfect.

Here come the blowtorches. Flame suit on.

9. hardys

hardys Member

Dude, all I can say is the manager & assitant manager both told me that they had to send the guitar back to Gibson in order to obtain a new COA. :nono

So what is 100% not true? Were these guys lying, ignorant or just plain stupid. This cost them the sale with me. I wasn't about to drop $2500.00 on a new guitar, only to immediately ship it off to Gibson for some silly authentication process.

10. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I stand 100% corrected. They recently within the last few months changed their policy. Even on a brand new guitar that has never been sold, you have to send the guitar to Gibson. I just called and that was verified by 1 customer service person and a custom shop rep. Sorry for my previous post as I have never had to do that in the past.

Sucks. That is a big pain in the butt.

So even if a guitar has no sales info on it...ie it came from Gibson to the store and the COA is lost somehow the guitar still needs to be sent back for verification.

11. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

That's exactly what I found.