1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Gibson Custom Shop non-reverse Firebird

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skeeterbuck, Jun 23, 2008.

1. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I am considering picking up one of the new Non-reverse Firebirds.

I'm looking for anyone who has one or has tried one as to what they think.

I'm leaning towards the P-90 version over the mini-humbuckers, but am more concerned with the quality and feel of the guitar as I like both pickups for different reasons.

:munch

2. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I have the one with two burstbuker 2&3. The pickups are great. The neck is chunky but comfortable. I love the guitar. Warren Hayes plays one just like it. Personally, I like the humbukers. If I was gonna get a p90 guitar it would be a lp special tv yellow. I had one and loved it as well.

3. SFK

SFK Member

I also have one like Keith (with humbuckers).

The build and feel is fantastic. The neck feels just about perfect.

Having owned a 65 NR Firebird with 3 p 90s, I would chose p 900s given your choices. Those tv white models look nice too. P 90s rip in that nice big piece of mahogany.

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

4. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Those metal pickup mounts are cool. The only ones I've ever, ever seen. How about you? Mine is Cardinal Red.

5. SFK

SFK Member

I think Gibson puts those rings on their 'bucker sized "P 94s". But other than that no.

I like the red ones too. Got any pics?

I replaced the Bridge pickup with a WCR Fillmore in mine just for a little more hair. I made sure to put the ring back on. I like the look too. :)

6. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I remember reading that those guitars were absolute monsters for their price. I'm glad they are making them again. How much are they running now?

7. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

Screaming for some double whites with those surrounds!! :dude

So is the neck carve about the same as an R9? R7?

8. Calloway

Calloway Member

I remember when you bought that guitar! Man that one is a player too, I loved the neck on it, very chunky in all the right ways. Hope things are well Special!

9. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Just get an SG Classic & save some dough!

Tony