• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Gibson Custom Shop R/Historics - Yearly Production Numbers?

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
Does anyone have an idea how many "R" guitars Gibson turns out a year? I'm interested in seeing the progression from the early 1990s to the current period. Thanks in advance.

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
Considering they were making "2014" Historics literally in 2015 (i.e. 2014 serial numbered guitars in 2015), I think the response to this question will not be forthcoming or at least not without a number of asterisks.

highrise

Gibson is a privately held company and as such they typically refuse to publish modern production numbers on general principle...unless they have something (money) to gain. These aren't limited editions...they will produce as many as they can move.

Beyond that, I would take anything posted on the subject with a large grain of salt.

Tim Plains

Yup, Gibson does not release production numbers unless it is a limited run "1 of xxx", but you can get a rough idea based on serial numbers. For instance, Gibson made over 3,400 R9s with 2014 serial numbers. Yes, that many R9s, and before anyone quotes me thinking it's high, I saw a headstock picture. Granted, 2014/2015 is an odd one since Gibson continued making 2015 historics with 2014 serial numbers, so it theoretically could have been built in 2015, but that's indicative of recent years. Over 3,000 R8s and 3,000 R9s being built each year. I recall seeing 9332xx a few years ago and there was no serial number carryover into 2014. Fewer were made in previous years but I have no idea about every year.

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've made over a million reissues since 1993, running the gamut from R2s to R0s. Strictly talking Les Paul 'Standards' here, not Juniors or Specials.

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, Gibson does not release production numbers unless it is a limited run "1 of xxx", but you can get a rough idea based on serial numbers. For instance, Gibson made over 3,400 R9s with 2014 serial numbers. Yes, that many R9s, and before anyone quotes me thinking it's high, I saw a headstock picture. Granted, 2014/2015 is an odd one since Gibson continued making 2015 historics with 2014 serial numbers, so it theoretically could have been built in 2015, but that's indicative of recent years. Over 3,000 R8s and 3,000 R9s being built each year. I recall seeing 9332xx a few years ago and there was no serial number carryover into 2014. Fewer were made in previous years but I have no idea about every year.
Thanks for your thoughts, that's helpful to me.

Flogger59

So essentially, twice as many in any given year than the entire Burst production from 58-60.

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
So essentially, twice as many in any given year than the entire Burst production from 58-60.
Twice as many as the entire "burst" production apparently for each, the R8 and R9 separately distinctly, per year. And that's before you account for all of the other reissues they crank out.

Personally, I was interested in how this compared to the production figures for the late 1960s and early 1970s. Loosely speaking, this appears to be on par with the 1969s and 1970s, where Gibson produced about 5,000 Les Pauls in total. Of course, this doesn't factor in the standard US production.

Last edited by a moderator:

highrise

This assumes they begin each years run at 0001, that they number consecutively, and that they don't skip numbers.

sidekick

Silver Supporting Member
Given the 'suggested', (albeit) unknown numbers posted so far, it could turn out that the Chambered Reissues from '04 might be among the more sought after CS Historic's in terms of comparative rarity so far ...

Just my luck ... :confused: ... having sold a stunning '06 CRO a few months ago ... :oops:

27sauce

I'm curious to see a 2 or 3000 serial number. I don't think I've ever seen a historic go much over the 1000 range.

highrise

Gibson customer service has told me this is what they do.
Judging by the 2003 Brazilian board serial number ranges, this would stand to reason.

Still, there's no easy way to confirm they're not skipping blocks of serials. Lord knows they've done crazier things.

27sauce

Fwiw, I have a '13 R8 in the low 1000 range that shipped in early '14. I can't imagine they made 2000 more R9's that year. But, anything is possible.

27sauce

Twice as many as the entire "burst" production apparently for each, the R8 and R9 separately distinctly, per year. And that's before you account for all of the other reissues they crank out.

Personally, I was interested in how this compared to the production figures for the late 1960s and early 1970s. Loosely speaking, this appears to be on par with the 1969s and 1970s, where Gibson produced about 5,000 Les Pauls in total. Of course, this doesn't factor in the standard US production.
Forget about bursts, there were less than 100 '54 Customs made originally!

I bet the don't reissue as many Juniors year to year vs. vintage. They made a shitload of juniors in the 50's.

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
I'm curious to see a 2 or 3000 serial number. I don't think I've ever seen a historic go much over the 1000 range.
I'm virtually positive my last R8 was a late 2000 S/N, but that was the earlier referenced 2014 produced in 2015.

Edit - Just checked, and it was indeed a high 2000 S/N.

Last edited by a moderator:

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
Given the 'suggested', (albeit) unknown numbers posted so far, it could turn out that the Chambered Reissues from '04 might be among the more sought after CS Historic's in terms of comparative rarity so far ...

Just my luck ... :confused: ... having sold a stunning '06 CRO a few months ago ... :oops:
I sold my '06 CR 0 a few months back to help with the cost of a home purchase. It still hurts.
They only made about 20 CR0's that year. Mine was number 3

Trending Topics

Top Bottom