Gibson Custom Shop VOS series

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Robert1950, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

2. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Seems like the historics were allready doing all those things.....marketing? Sooner or later the historics would be as close as possible, then what.

3. HHB

HHB Member

I played a bunch of VOS last week, great stuff

4. fugazi

fugazi Member

I think they look pretty cool. But, I would not buy any new guitar with "relicing" or "fading." Just my personal preference. I like my new guitars minty fresh.

5. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I've heard nothing but good things from the guys who've played them. I'd rather have one not relic'd but I guess from now on that is gonna be an upcharge. I'm planning on getting an R7 goldtop later this year, the factory plek, and rolled egdes are both interesting. Can't wait to play one.

6. HHB

HHB Member

they look perfect to me, not a relic but not a new look, very inviting and vintage looking , I LOVED the 61 SG reissue in VOS

7. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Correct...they're more "aged" than relic'd.

8. FredW

FredW Member

I saw them at namm, They looked great especially the Black Beauty and goldtops. The 59 they had there was amazing also. I want one bad

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Really digging the 1960 Standard. Nice flame!

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

It's a bit of repackaging. They used to call them Custom Authentic. Change a detail or two, and presto...VOS is born! Hey, I'm still mad about Doritos changing 'sour cream and onion' to 'cool ranch'! Sure worked for them, though. AC

11. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, and what the hell ever happened to Taco flavored doritos???Those were my favorite when I was a kid...then ??? they're gone. Stinkin doritos execs....

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

They are/were one in the same. I was addicted to that variety. And to echo Thwap...those Doritos execs are as bad as the Gibson execs! Messin with a man's Doritos...now THAT'S personal! AC

13. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

My Slash LP has a "Custom Authentic" finish on it. I'd say it's somewhere between Fender's NOS and Closet Classic finishes.

The nitro on the body is thin, but there's no cracks or checking. The neck is finished perfectly, showroom-new. The hardware is a little dull, but not corroded.

Basically, it's broken in but not beat to death.

14. robbert

robbert Member

The original 50's customs had 1 piece mahogany bodies, I wonder why Gibson chose not to do that with the reissues, money-saving? These guitars go for alot of money called - vintage original spec, you would think they were 100% accurate. Not to speak about old-growth wood etcetera.

15. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

As far as I know, both my '60 and '61 RI guitars both have one piece mahogany bodies, in fact, on some guitars, they specify that.

What's weird is that my '60RI just says Gibson Custom on the case, the '61RI says Custom Art Historic. I'm pretty sure it's one big marketing gimmick ;)

16. sosomething

sosomething Member

They look pretty cool to me. I love all varieties of LP/SG Juniors and P-90 Specials, so this is right up my alley.

EDIT: The website is great! I love how it's set up with the zoomable photos and sound clips.

17. robbert

robbert Member

Your guitars also have maple tops, the 50s Les Paul Customs (black&gold) were 1 piece mahogany, so no back and top, just an entire single piece of mahogany