Gibson Custom Shop (What a Joke!) AL68

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Evilmusician80, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Evilmusician80

Evilmusician80 Member

here's an email I sent to Gibson forum administrator ,didn't know where else to send it .

Just wanted to tell us guys ,that I've never been so disappointed with an instrument in my life,with all the anticipation ,of awaiting my new Custom Shop (what a joke there) AL68 ,to be kicked in the stomach,and have the thing fall apart right before my eyes ,a 4000 dollar guitar list 5000+ with a shotty fretboard/neck! (neck has started to separate from the ebony fretboard ,crack along the edge of the binding all the way towards the bridge on both sides of the neck ) I mean I looked past the volute issue ,the brown streaks in the ebony ,the fact that first when I bought it it wouldn't stay in tune ,plus the numerous problems and complaints on the forums from dissatisfied ES-AL owners ,All seemed to just disappear when I plugged it in and played the opening riff to A Passage to Bangkok , but the night I looked down a saw the damage that had befallen my precious guitar ,It almost made me cry .To me not having this guitar is like losing my best friend .Honestly I see all my guitars as my children (this was my favorite )

Ever since I first saw Alex using this on the Rush videos ,I knew some way ,some how I had to have one! So when I found out that Gibson had issued one I was beside myself ,and put in an order at my local music store .I searched the net for pics,info all I could find ,so the day I got mine I was like a kid at Christmas ! First opening the case pulling back the blanket was like that awwwwwwwwwww moment we all do when something impresses us ! Then only to be disappointed and disgusted by the so called quality and workmen ship that Gibson's Custom Shop claims they achieve ,well they dropped the ball on this model ,anyways I hoped to have this guitar for many years ,pass it on to my kids whatnot ,but looks like that won't happen now .I think it'll be a longggggggg time before I buy another Gibson if ever, let alone a Custom Shop one .Alex is my favorite guitarist and Rush my favorite band I'd like to think that he knows nothing of the problems of this run ,otherwise he might cease to be my guitar hero!

Former AL68 Owner

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. auraelux

auraelux Member

It's sad man and it's good that you sent this email, I've seen a remarkable decrease in build quality from both their Nashville and Memphis shops in the past 5 years. It hurts to say it and people may call me crazy but I think some aspects of my MIM strat's build quality exceeded those my Les Paul Standard.

3. XKnight

XKnight Member

What fell apart and what damage are you referring to? It's not clear in your post.

The only Custom Shop Gibson I have is a LP R8 and it's phenomenal. I'm sorry to hear that your Gibson has issues.

4. Evilmusician80

Evilmusician80 Member

(neck has started to separate from the ebony fretboard ,crack along the edge of the binding all the way towards the bridge on both sides of the neck ):FM:BITCH

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Well let's see some pic's man!

Emee

6. Evilmusician80

Evilmusician80 Member

its gone back to the dealer, and I have my money back ,I took pics but the white on white won't show up ,but trust me its there !:BITCH

7. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Sorry to hear.....You should of had a new guitar in your hands pronto!!!!
    Alex did get alot of good tones from his PRS guitars also!!!

8. Quinny

Quinny Member

Sorry to hear that. The AL seems to have been a particularly bad run from Gibson... I've heard all sorts of horror stories from bridges being fitted wrong, to pickups falling out, to one dealer cancelling his Gibson dealership due to the state his 3 turned up in and Gibson subsequently wanting PAID to put them right! Seems fairly run of the mill for Gibson these days (shame, a great Gibson is a wonderful thing) but one would expect better things from the custom shop, it was always a 'safer' place. Check out this pic from the Gibson site:

http://www.gibson.com/PRESS/custom/product/2008/Lifeson.jpg

This is a PRESS photo, zoom in and check out the f-holes. A press photo no less, wonderful!

9. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

(neck has started to separate from the ebony fretboard ,crack along the edge of the binding all the way towards the bridge on both sides of the neck )

it's the first thing that caught MY eye...
    and it's 2:30a est on a workweek...

10. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

Buying and playing a new Gibson is a bit like receiving oral favors from an 85 year old woman. If you're careful not to look down, you may be lucky enough that at least it feels good, but chances are, it won't be a sight you'll savor.
    Sorry to hear of your disappointment. I can relate. I purchased a L.P. Custom from the Custom Shop some years back. It was a '91 Antique White I got in '92. The neck started to loosen after 2 weeks. There was a very visible crack that developed in the finish where the neck met the body.
    They sent a replacement. That was more like an Apprentice Shop than Custom Shop model, and I wrote a letter and told them exactly that. File marks in the ebony fretboard. Score marks on the binding along the neck, A dab of touch up paint on the headstock. And about 2" along the neck binding where they either totally missed when they sprayed the tinted clear, (so it stands out a very stark white next to the mellowed yellow tint), or they sanded through it. Where the binding covers the fret ends in that area, as well as others, has broken off. I kept it as I was too frustrated to bother or care anymore. And if I'm lucky enough to be grabbin' some good notes, my eyes are usually rolled back in my head, so I couldn't see it then anyway ~ lol
    So I no longer care about the cosmetics, and thanks to Jim Wagner of WCR Pick-ups, it's one of the sweetest sounding guitars I've had the fun of playing ~

11. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Did you contact Gibson about a repair or replacement?

12. Evilmusician80

Evilmusician80 Member

Not personally,but the guitar store did ,honestly I'm not sure I want another one !

13. go7

go7 Member

Sorry to hear this. I had a similar experience. Hope you get satisfaction. And like you I didn`t want another one, just my money back. Good luck.

14. codyj84

codyj84 Member

You should look at the PRS DGT models. I was not a fan of PRS, but that guitar is hands down the most comfortable guitar Ive ever played and the workmanship is incredible.

15. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

+1

That's AMAZING! At least photoshop that stuff of, you know?

16. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Hey Man! Thats crazy, I'm sorry to hear that about your guitar. I know how much you wanted it. I'd say screw the al68 and go for that PRS hollow body you've been gassing...

17. trwigg

trwigg Member

They are the biggest name in guitars and they no longer feel they need to compete for your business. They rely stricly on the logo on the headstock. They almost went bankrupt in the 80's because of all the junk they were producing and now it is almost like it was then. Very sad indeed. If you want a guitar like the Gibson's of the golden years go buy a Collings, I did and I will never look back.

18. XKnight

XKnight Member

The OP edited his post and added that information after I asked the question. It wasn't there when I originally asked.

19. gregory49

gregory49 Member

or a gustav.

I've never had a problem with a les paul/historic as well and haven't heard many... not regarding historics anyway. Some of the Cloud9s have an extremely good reputation around here as do the Murphy R9s..

Gibson will definitly have their moments where they fudge up but they certainly do produce a couple of gems once in a while.

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

My main guitar inspiration is Dickey Betts and I felt the same way when I saw and played one of his signature guitars . It wasn't falling apart like you described and was actually a pretty decent guitar.........but $5500 for a basic stock Gold Top that was beat to **** by some guy named Tom Murphy!? No thanks. That was the beginning of the end with my relationship with Gibson guitars. [​IMG]