Gibson Customshop P90s-Help me choose between these two models.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tonepolice, Jan 10, 2008.

1. tonepolice

tonepolice Member

Kathmandu, Nepal in the middle of the Himalayan mo
    I am stuck between the Historic R4 Les Paul and the Historic 57 Les Paul Junior for my choice in a P-90s guitar.

For those with experience with these two models which one would you recommend over the other for a classic P-90 guitar? Thankyou.

2. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

You need to play them before you buy. The 54 with the wraparound bridge responds more like a Telecaster...with a Gibson scale. String tension feels different from an ABS bridge setup like the R6. Its too much money to spend without trying them first...in my opinion.

3. tonepolice

tonepolice Member

Kathmandu, Nepal in the middle of the Himalayan mo
    Strat-o I agree with you. But, check my location, I am in the middle of the Himalayan mountains in Kathmandu, Nepal. Ordering through the internet is the only option I have so I have to trust the words of people here on this forum before i decide which one. Thanks again.

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

My R4 is a marvelous guitar but nothing like a Telecaster. I also have a VOS LP Junior that is also a wonderful guitar as well. You are on a win/win track. The junior is lighter and maybe easier to play and has a more aggressive tone which is great for "gutbucket" blues. The R4 might be a bit more sophisticated, bigger, and heavier with a slightly richer tone. Right now I find myself reaching for the junior more often but I have zero plans to sell the R4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Tuco

Tuco Member

LP Special, n'est-ce pas?

6. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I am not a fan of the wrap around tailpiece, its a big reason I reluctantly sold my tele.