Gibson double cutaway question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jack Dotson, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

I'm thinking of making a trade for a Gibson LP DC and have been doing some research, but am confused about the pick-up's used in these guitars.

From what I can tell there are two models, classic and standard and the one I'm looking at is the standard. I've seen it listed with 490/498, but I've also seen them listed with Burstbucker pro's. Anyone know which of these are used or have they been produced with both?

Also, are these still being made or have they been discontinued?

And last, but not least, I'd like to hear from anyone who owns or have experience with these guitars and hear your impressions.

Thanks.

2. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

I would also like to know.

3. tonefinger

tonefinger Member

I own a Standard, it has the 490/498 pick ups. I got the one with the blue flamed maple top, which I thought looked terrible until I saw it in person. I'm not overly thrilled with the pickups, but not dissapointed enough to swap them. The bodies are chambered, so they are relatively light for a Les Paul. I love the guitar, I own 2 other Les Pauls, a Hamer, a couple of Strats, etc and this is pretty much my go to guitar.
    I think it's a very comfortable guitar, I have always liked the way the double cutaways look. As far as sound goes, it is a good sounding, versatile guitar. It sounds a bit different than my other Pauls, not that it sounds worse, just different- maybe not quite as chunky, but in a good way. I recommend playing a few before buying, everyone I played was a little different. I don't think they are still being made, but I could be wrong. They are making some that have longer horns for the guitar of the month thing, but they don't look as good.

4. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

Ditto the above. I have a standard LP DC, and I really like it, but I swapped out the bridge pickup for a JB. Just nothing remarkable about the stock setup.

Great guitar to play for a whole night! :dude

Cheers,
    Cowboy

5. iMatt

iMatt Member

I have a DC Classic - Gold Top finish and P90s. I have used this gigging in preferance to an LP because of its light weight. It is, as someone above has said, a very comfortable guitar to play. The P90s have plenty of output for my needs.

The only thing that is less than satisfactory is that when it came the neck pick-up sounded great but was much louder than the bridge. It was evident that this was because the bridge pick-up height was quite low - relative to the strings that is. The "problem" is the neck rakes back at a much steeper angle than an LP. To avoid having to drop the height of the neck pick-up too far - and compromise its output - I have had to raise the bridge pick-up as far as it will go to get a good volume balance between the two. This leaves the bridge pick-up a bit "wobbly" in that it will move if your fingers contact it, but it sits well enough otherwise.

I don't know if this is an issue other DC users have found.

6. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

I have a DC Studio, it also has 490/498 pair. I like it just fine stock.

[​IMG]

7. flogstrat

flogstrat Member

My LP DC Std has the 490/498 pickups. It has a sound that I think of as in between an LP and an SG. No flubby bottom end but less aggressive/bite than the SG. I really like it. It's great for R&R. I was shopping for an SG '61 RI but bought the DC instead. Mine is a real pretty amber.

It's lighter than a regular LP but for me it is somewhat neck-heavy, but less so than an SG. Or maybe it is my middle-aged gut forcing the neck-end of the guitar away from my body :eek:

Dave