Gibson ES-150 (335 shape) thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, Mar 16, 2015.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Thinking of getting one for jazz stuff. Will probably string it with .012-.054 roundwounds.

Just wondering about weight, balance, feedback, etc?

2. dconeill

dconeill Member

I've only played one, back in grad school. IIRC it had the rather narrow nut (1 9/16"?) that some Gibsons had in the 60s and 70s. It was OK, but I liked wider fingerboards. I was a 335 player even then, and the 150 gave me no problems of weight or balance. I don't remember about feedback, but I probably wasn''t playing all that loud.

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I've played one before. Basically a thicker, hollow 335. It was Freddie Bryant's.

Has a cool vibe that's a bit different than other Gibsons I've played. You have a line on one, Jack?

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i don't have a line on one but it would be a cool variation on a 175. I think the construction is similar to a 175 but with the 335 body shape and neck joint

5. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I was at a guitar show in Spartanburg, SC a few years ago and one of the dealers had a late 1960s ES-150. I played it acoustically and liked it. But I passed on it because the dealer wouldn't let me try it out with an amplifier.

6. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Used to have one and miss it. Upper fret access of a 335 and tone that's closer to a 175. Reasonably feedback resistant but probably not a rocker's guitar in the first place :)

7. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I had one for a few years in the '80s. It played very well, sounded similar to an ES-175 (I had one of those, too) but better upper fret acess. It did have the pencil neck, though.
    It was nice for the right gig but I started playing in a rock/pop band in '84 and traded it for an ES-335 which fit more what I wanted in that situation.