Gibson ES-225TD vs Heritage H-525

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guitarman1, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Guitarman1

Guitarman1 Member

Could anybody describe the difference in sound?

Thanks.

2. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Big difference, presuming the 525 is a separate bridge/tailpiece set-up. The 225 has the long trapeze terminating in a wrap-around bridge (like an R4 or second-version LP). The quality of the attack of the note is very different; quicker, some say. The quality of the sustain is different, too. Not necessarily more sustain, just a different sonic quality to the way the note decays. Definately not for everyone and essential to test drive before buying.

Did I mention the 225, with production ending in 1959 is gonna smell soooooo much better, and, imo, look much cooler, too?

3. Jazz2Punk

Jazz2Punk Member

Anyone know why Gibson stopped using the longer trapeze tailpiece like the one on the 225? Were there functionality issues or was it just not a popular design? Doesn't seem like something that really caught on.

4. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Yeah. Ted McCarty had a crystal ball, looked into the future and saw there would be an internet forum where people who don't even play in a band would obsess about their intonation!!! Haw!

But seriously, this tail-piece came out in '52 and by '54 the tuna-matic was introduced. It was "obsolete" almost instantly. So much of what I like the sound of is "obsolete". I reckon I probably am, too!