Gibson ES-275

flume

Platinum Supporting Member
After far too long...and I don't know why I didn't check this to begin with...it turns out that P90s will in fact work with the existing routes which I thought would only accommodate humbuckers. So in goes a set of Mojotone vintage wind P90s. It is clearly a superior arrangement:

kracdown

Custom User Title
Played a vintage ES-295 for the first time the other week... now I am even MORE jealous of your collection.

erksin

Greg Kurczewski at Metro Guitar in VA would handle the hardware and setup, including installing one of the 295 tailpieces I've acquired in anticipation of just such a need. What it does to restore tuning fork resonance to an otherwise muted tone, can't be overstated and Greg dialed in the full ring and ease of action that must be felt to be believed.
Up until about 18 months ago, I'd have been one of the dudes calling BS on the tailpiece thing - then I got myself a LP Special with a wraptail. And what you say regarding your 295 floater definitely holds true for me too - there is an immediately identifiable ring and resonance that happens when all six strings are directly coupled to a single bar. And intonation is not an issue - it's more intonateable than an acoustic and you don't hear people constantly complaining about those not intonating properly, right?

Beautiful guitars man! :beer

tjmicsak

Who sells those wrap around tailpieces?
Anyone?

I'm considering removing my Bigsby if there is a source for a repro.

flume

Just back from band practice...and it will definitely see live action on Thursday in DC....with P90s it just comes to life. More articulation and with judicious use of volume knobs with both pickups on, a world of shading is available in tone choices. And it looks right too...dunnit?

Trending Topics