Gibson ES-335 + 1977 Fender Deluxe Reverb = Best tone I've had

nkt275

rig2.jpg

Just wanted to share this with you guys. I recently bought a brand new Gibson ES-335 standard (with burst buckers). Such a sweet guitar. I've struggled to try to make it work with my old Vox AC30 6/TB, and even though that amp really sings with a Telecaster, it wasn't really a marriage made in heaven with the ES-335.

So, enter the old '77 Silverface Deluxe Reverb. A week ago or so, I got a tech to repair it, it's been laying around the house in unplayable condition for a couple of years. And MAN, this combo is simply flat out amazing to my ears. The Deluxe Reverb really brings out the best of the 335, and vice versa.

I've got a pedaltrain junior board with a a couple of drive pedals, but they have become kind of redundant now. I don't use any pedals at all for my core sound now. Just the guitar and the amp, with a touch of spring reverb. I played a gig a couple of nights ago, and I just used to TC Electronics Spark booster for solos (amazing pedal BTW), and that was it. Amazing tones to my ears.

I've played the guitar since 1993, and I've tried a lot of guitars and amps, but all kidding aside, I've never been happier with my tone. And the irony is that it's all in the guitar and the amp, and a good booster pedal. Considering all the $$$ I've spent on gear during the last decades, it's quite ironic, to tell you the truth.

By the way, I play rock, blues and country. Just wanted to share a happy moment here. Thanks guys.

nkt275

Thanks guys! I'm considering a bigsby on the 335 too. We'll see!

Bright amp + smokey guitar = Oh...YEAH!

Congrats on that new 335.

Thanks man. I think this is the key thing, right there: Smokey guitar + bright amp. Works as a charm!

jota

Congrats.
My Ibanez AS73 and my DRRi put me close to that and makes me really happy too.
Love the Spark Boost too.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I recently bought a brand new Gibson ES-335 standard (with burst buckers). Such a sweet guitar...The Deluxe Reverb really brings out the best of the 335, and vice versa.
I saw Larry Carlton at the Iridium in NYC and he was playing a 335 through a Deluxe Reverb. His playing was superb and the tone was outstanding.

32037_1256621509855_290033_n.jpg

tmac

Goldmember
Platinum Supporting Member
rig2.jpg

Just wanted to share this with you guys. I recently bought a brand new Gibson ES-335 standard (with burst buckers). Such a sweet guitar. I've struggled to try to make it work with my old Vox AC30 6/TB, and even though that amp really sings with a Telecaster, it wasn't really a marriage made in heaven with the ES-335.

So, enter the old '77 Silverface Deluxe Reverb. A week ago or so, I got a tech to repair it, it's been laying around the house in unplayable condition for a couple of years. And MAN, this combo is simply flat out amazing to my ears. The Deluxe Reverb really brings out the best of the 335, and vice versa.

I've got a pedaltrain junior board with a a couple of drive pedals, but they have become kind of redundant now. I don't use any pedals at all for my core sound now. Just the guitar and the amp, with a touch of spring reverb. I played a gig a couple of nights ago, and I just used to TC Electronics Spark booster for solos (amazing pedal BTW), and that was it. Amazing tones to my ears.

I've played the guitar since 1993, and I've tried a lot of guitars and amps, but all kidding aside, I've never been happier with my tone. And the irony is that it's all in the guitar and the amp, and a good booster pedal. Considering all the $$$ I've spent on gear during the last decades, it's quite ironic, to tell you the truth.

By the way, I play rock, blues and country. Just wanted to share a happy moment here. Thanks guys.
That combo is very hard to beat. A good 335 and a dr or super, vibrolux reverb, princeton reverb, etc is just perfect for those tones. Lots of wonderful records done with that combo.

nkt275

great stuff, I got my 335 a few years ago, haven't looked back, great guitar.

Great, man. Same thing here, I believe. I've never had a guitar I've liked to much. It's so versatile too. I've played Telecasters for many years, but this is something else.

nkt275

That combo is very hard to beat. A good 335 and a dr or super, vibrolux reverb, princeton reverb, etc is just perfect for those tones. Lots of wonderful records done with that combo.

Awesome. Yeah, the DR really loves the 335, amazing tone right off the bat. I really tried with the AC30 though. I mean, I tried everything to make that work.

nkt275

Not enough ;)

Sounds great! I know several players who make it work brilliantly (335 + AC30). But for me it was more a "feel"-thing. Something didn't feel right to me. The moment I plugged in the Deluxe Reverb, I felt instantly at home. It's hard to put into words. Guess I'm a Fender amp kind of guy. That's not to say it's impossible to get good tones with a 335 and an AC30. Just wasn't for me. I'm keeping the AC30 6/TB though. It's killer with a Tele IMO. Different strokes... That's all.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom