• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Gibson ES-335 And Vox AC15

joevacc

Anybody else playing this combination? I am digging my AC15, quite a lot.

I can't help thinking that a Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux would be great too. I know I would have to play them to know for myself but I just got the ES-335 and promised the one who must be obeyed that I am cool for awhile. ;~) My tastes lean toward the Vibrolux.

Anyone out there playing an ES-335 have experience with Fender and Vox that can share their opinions?

Bogner

An ES-335 can work with just about anything you pair it with from low gain to high gain, low watt to high watt, head or combo in any style. Enjoy!

jo2012

I play my 335 through a '65RI Super Reverb. I only have the one amp so I don't have many more options, but I really love the way my Gibsons sound through Fender amps. I've also borrowed Deluxe Reverbs and Hot Rod Deluxes for some other gigs and it still sounds great.

b_goatman

Gold Supporting Member
I used to gig with a 345 and Deluxe Reverb ('65 Reissue) - it was a great combo! I also dig the Gibson into Fender amp thang!

Gretsch&Vox

I think Derek Leckenby is playing through a VOX AC30/50/100 (At some time they switched over to Fender [Showman?] Tube Amps). Anyway, I think he gets a great tone with his ES335.

Keef Wichards

I think Derek Leckenby is playing through a VOX AC30/50/100 (At some time they switched over to Fender [Showman?] Tube Amps). Anyway, I think he gets a great tone with his ES335.
Oh the 60s! At least it doesn't appear they are lip-syncing on this live performance.
And shout out to the lefty's upside-down Thunderbird bass, that's really cool!

Guitar1969

Just bought a used ES-335 Historic but haven't got it yet. Will be playing it through a Twin Reverb with a bunch of pedals. Looking forward to it.

joevacc

I have always been mostly a one guitar kind of guy. Now I have three electrics but the other two are not getting much play time. My 335 is really my be all end all guitar. I am trying to get in the studio to do a couple of songs and I'll bring the others but they will be for seasoning not the main dish I don't think. ;~)

The Vox sounds great with all of my guitars but I do love Fenders too. That Vibrolux is really intriguing.

jota

Well, I use a 65Amps London Pro that is almost like an AC15 and a Ibanez AS73 that is inspired by the 335.
I usually play with a Deluxe Reverb in stereo with the London.
I'm not a great fan of humbuckers on the London's AC channel but with some EQ to take away some of the low end it sounds good.
But to me, humbuckers play better with BF type amps.

Bobche

I play an Epiphone Sheraton with 57 classics into my AC15Hw1x. It sounds good, but my tele sounds better. Im still trying to work out the best settings for the sheraton into the vox. At the moment im digging it in the Normal channel at 2:00, bright switch on, cut completely off.

I also have the AC15c1 - i never really liked the Sheraton into it, too muddy.

rob2966

Kind of :).

I play my ES339 into my Egnater tweaker set to the AC/vintage setting. The fact that this combo sounds the best (I don't like/use the AC setting with any of my other guitars) would indicate that an ES335 through a real Vox would probably be pretty sweet.

Later
Rob

Elduderino73

I play an Epiphone Sheraton with 57 classics into my AC15Hw1x. It sounds good, but my tele sounds better. Im still trying to work out the best settings for the sheraton into the vox. At the moment im digging it in the Normal channel at 2:00, bright switch on, cut completely off.

I play a Sheraton with Seth Lovers through my Blues Junior Lacquer Tweed amp. I'm very happy with the tones.

Other than my hollowbody all my guitars are semi-hollows. I'm never going back to solidbodies.

joevacc

I am mostly playing in the top boost channel in my AC15c1X with the bass at 10'oclock and the treble at 2ish...
If I turn up the tone cut its is minimally...
When I first got the 335 I thought the Vox was muddy too but that small bass knob adjustment made a world of difference.
I don't have the stock tubes any longer either. And, I put a real speaker wire in. The low end was dramatically improved afterward.

Vintage 335 through a vintage vibroverb and a monster player. A choir of angels:
Nice!
I know that Vibrolux is going to sound good! ;~)

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 335 and amongst other amps a AC30 (HW version) and a backline ('67) Vibrolux Reverb so I can provide some reference to your OP. My synopsis:

AC30 - in general I just can't seem to make HB equipped guitars work with the AC30, single coils sound great (it loves Teles) but my 335/LP just doesn't seem to bond. I know that's subjective but that's what I've found. Out of the channels in the AC30 the 335 sounds much better to my ears through the Normal channel, doesn't seem the like the TB channel.

Vibrolux Reverb - the 335 and Vibrolux Reverb is nothing short of pure tonal heaven. With the Vibrolux's volume around 6 -7 I'm in my happy place. Nothing sounds better. Out of the all the guitars and amps I have the 335/Vibrolux Reverb combo is the one I play the most.

sliberty

No reason your 335 can't sound great through any amp. An AC15 is rather different from most Fenders. Fenders have very different distortion characteristics (if the distort - not all of them do). And tonally, they can be rounder sounding than most Vox models. There are lots of sounds out there in the world - decide which ones you want and then go for them.

For me, the Vibrolux would be preferred over the Deluxe Reverb. But that's just me.

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
Although not exactly a 335 but John Scofield played an Ibanez Semi Hallowbody through an AC30 for years. Eric Krasno has been playing an Ibanez or 335 as well through an AC30. Check out Soulive Rubbersoul album. A lot of it is 59 335 VOS through an AC30.

Top Bottom