Gibson ES 335 Fat Neck Vs. Historic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluehugh2, Jan 8, 2008.

1. bluehugh2

bluehugh2 Gold Supporting Member

Does anyone know where the "Fat Neck" Es 335 sits in terms of construction... does it have a long neck tenon like the Historics, for example? Are these guitars beyond the quality of a stock 335???

2. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

Hi Hugh, happy new year !............(p.s. you gotta buy that 59 345 ...my dream gtr, then break the neck and sell it to me !!!!! lol :crazyguy, gawd, I'm outpriced , but that one looks perfect !)

to your question: I've played a few of the new fatneck 335's, and I wasn't really liking it as much as the historic ones Ive tried, I think they can be very nice, but I think I would have to play quite a few to find the "ringer".

although the recent ones actually have the best looking dimensions (correct horn arch/shape/body depth...etc), some of them had bits of wood bouncing around inside the f-hole and sort of "orange peel like thick finsih" ,course dry fretboards/sharp fret edge, again, I may be over critical, but these are not cheap and I would expect better.

they have sort of a longer tenon, but its not as large as the historic and does not go as far in, and I believe the build process differs in terms of how they set the angle of the necks.

as far as quality compared to regular 335's, I would say pretty much the same. I like the bigger necks over the taper versions, so that is a plus if you find one you bond with .

having said all this. I don't find the new historics that exciting either., generally I think the es3x5 line is slipping in quality much more than say the les paul line, imho....ymmv.!
    take care Hugh

3. bluehugh2

Thanks for the info SSD.
    Just curious about those guitars...

4. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

I definately didn't mean to sound over-negative (mighted sounded that way), I was just a bit put-off I think because of the sticker shock/quality issue's ratio that I experienced. There for sure are nice ones to be had.

did you see that real deal 59 345 in the emporium ???~!!!! oh boy !! :crazy:crazy:crazy:drool

5. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Did you think about the Custom 335 with the fat 59 neck?

6. bluehugh2

That's what we're talking about here...