Gibson ES-335 neck profile

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Glenn Rudge, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Glenn Rudge

Glenn Rudge Member

I'm currently looking for an ES-335 to buy, but people selling them on reverb/ebay rarely ever mention the neck size and such. The first electric guitar I had was an Epiphone Dot, the neck on it is perfect and I'm really used to it. A few years ago I visited this music shop and got my hands on a Gibson Lucille, not sure what year it was from, I always thought I'd like it, but the neck was DISGUSTINGLY skinny and just horrible.

Anyways that being said, does anyone here know what years of the 335 have a suitable neck that isn't too small? As far as big-ness goes the sky is the limit, I'm just scared of buying one with a small neck and having to return it as buying one at the local guitar center is not an option in my budget which is 2600$

Are the 2000s models from Memphis a good buy?

2. blacknblues

blacknblues Member

I would look for one that has a pre- 1960 neck profile in the description. So '59 profile or earlier should get you a neck that will be comfortable.

3. Glenn Rudge

Glenn Rudge Member

That's what I figured, from the little information I could grab online, I just don't think that's in my price range, how much do those usually go for?

It doesn't have to be a baseball bat, I just don't want one of those skinny necks.

4. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

I'm in the same position you are. '59 reissues, '63 50th anniversaries, some '63 reissues, and Memphis fat necks are the best bet. Typical USA and Memphis dot reissues have a thin neck. I recently got a hold of a Memphis Trini Lopez that has an LP R9 sized neck on it and I love it. Obviously it's not a 335 per se, but they are another option. Given your price range, I'd look for a Memphis fat neck.

5. Glenn Rudge

Glenn Rudge Member

Thanks for the reply, will look into them ASAP.

Herb Utsmelz likes this.
  6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I think you should be able to find a Heritage H535 for less $$$ than that but I'm not familiar with their necks.

Good luck

7. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I have a 58RI 335 that has a fairly fat neck.
    The Heritage 535 is standard Gibson style neck. Not too fat.

8. MR.K

MR.K Member

Surf around and read the neck specs for 58's and 59' es335's and Les Pauls. Gibson has .900 at the first fret and 1.00 at the 12th on their site.

9. Glenn Rudge

Glenn Rudge Member

You two just opened up a whole new world.

10. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

Heritage are good guitars with decent necks. Might be suitable for you. I didn't mind them but I wanted thicker if given the choice. Well under your budget.

The new Memphis '58 335 has a huge neck but I don't think it's in target price range.

11. blacknblues

blacknblues Member

If you're looking for a full neck that is not quite as big as 50's but big enough with a Historic C shape, then I would suggest looking at the ES-335 Studio.
    http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Memphis/ES-335-Studio.aspx
    I have one and really like it! It has a nice full neck, but it's just not 50's profile.

12. Glenn Rudge

Glenn Rudge Member

I was looking at the 2016 model, mainly because it's more normal. It's absolutely an option.

blacknblues likes this.
  13. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

Most I've played, including my own '91, had 1960-esque neck profile. Not skinny, not fat. Kind of nice actually.

I love all good necks, skinny and fat. From an 90s SG to a recent LP R9. From a PRS CU24 Wide Thin to a Gibson Super 400 neck. I love playing bass too.

14. BBBJay

BBBJay Member

I have a 2004 and a 2010 335s, same specs and I swear the necks are different but both are comfortable. Keep an eye on the used market some really good deals pop up. 335 is a great guitar!

I'd like to add a 2015 or 2016 to my collection for the block inlay and pickups. Which just by saying that makes me feel crazy but hey the more the merrier right?

15. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

FYI the Heritage necks vary.