Gibson es-335 Roy Orbison -opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by john beddoe, Apr 26, 2015.

1. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

Hey guys!

I'm wanting to know if anyone has played, owned or knows much about the Gibson es-335 Roy Orbison model from 2007?
    From online, i know only 200 were made, its ebony, 57 pickups, etc.

Anyone have any comments how good this one is? Someone wants to trade me it for my R6 which i'm not playing much.

I'm in Australia and he's right over the other side of the country so its one of those trade without playing....

2. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

to clarify, im not after the specs as such as i can find them online..just whether they have found this model to be a good one? On the surface, it seems a good trade, financial-wise as that 335 was rather expensive and, of course rare

3. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I would keep that R6 and find a decent 335 dot. Just my humble opinion. You can find filled deals on 335 digs now (a bunch for sale here ) but the r6 is going way way up in price.

4. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

It's probably going to sound like any other 335 that has '57 Classics and the only person who will be able to comment on "how good this one is" will be the person who currently owns that particular 335. I own two signature guitars, both guitars are great, but I would never make a claim "they are all great" for the entire run like you seem to be looking for.

5. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

It's a run of the mill '59 style 335. I wouldn't do it.

6. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

The only 335 I've ever really disliked out of hundreds I've played was a Roy Orbison, a second hand one that came through the dealer I worked for. I spent a good while on the set up trying to figure out why it sounded so dull, even got a second tech to check it over in case I'd missed something but plugged or unplugged it sounded like it had been wrapped in a blanket. To my absolute amazement, the dealer sold it in under 48 hours to a guy who was a good player and loved it. Still, I don't have a good impression of the model based on that example.

I do love a black 335 though.

7. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

My ES-333 with Lollar Imperials sounded and played better than the Roy Orbison model I tried. A guy had one for sale locally, so I thought I'd give it a look as a potential upgrade. Don't get me wrong....it was really nice looking, but it wasn't anything special IMO.

8. Jura

Jura Member

Roy Orbison used 80s 335s. That's what this RO model is based on. You can get a real one (like my '88) for much less than a R6.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  9. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

thanks very much guys for the info and advice. I decided not to do the trade :)