Gibson ES-339 or CS-336

To make a long story short; I need help from you guys.

I've been contemplating these for about 2 years now. I've played a CS-336 but never an ES-339. Inital reaction was it sounded a bit dull and since I didn't have a strap to play it standing up, I wasn't sure about the balance. You can never judge anything by a first reaction or generalize a model based on an individual guitar.

Today I'm open to either one as I've revisited by 335 days and concluded the body is too wide for me. I've had several historic LP's and a historic SG (which I absolutely love all of them) and had a 1972 ES-335 and recent ES-335 '63 block neck. The 335's just didn't do it for me.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what a CS-336 sounds like. Is it like a chamber LP?

Since I can't figure out a way to do a search on this forum for either guitar, can you tell me your impressions on which one you prefer. They are not plentiful even in southern California so I seek your knowledge. Just looking for input to satisfy my curiosity.

Any cool videos or sound bites would also be great.

Last edited:

Strat

I LOVE the 336 - Love it to death. You can see adn hear mine on the Minnieapolis Amp fest thread. body is just a great size . Note - it does NOT sound just like a 335 - I think it sounds better than my mid 66 335.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
The 336 and 339 look similar, but they are totally different guitars. The 336 sounds more like a Les Paul, especially the chambered ones. The 339 is much more in the 335 family of tones. So it depends on what sound you are after.

rickc007

Gold Supporting Member
I've had both, there is a bit of diff in tone just between two 336s

The are a bit more boxey, honky sounding than the average 335

The 339s to me sounded a little more open/airy slighty thinner tone than the 336s I played
But they are in the same ball park

1radicalron

I have Both. I Much prefer the 336. The mahogany body gives it a warmth the 339 does not get. Replacing the Bridge system with a TonePros is Recommended for both. Although the most recent versions of both are now shipping with Tonepros factory installed. Gibson finally got a clue - Go Figure!

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
336 is a solid guitar that's been hollowed, the 339 is a laminate built guitar like a 335. So the 336 is more like a Les Paul and the 339 is more like a 335 (but not as big sounding and more focused)

televox

Gold Supporting Member
I haven't played a 336 but I own a 339.
The 339 has a lot of tonal options as the classic 57's are nice and bright, which is just the way I like my pick ups. This gives you wide variety of sounds when using the tone and volume controls.
I can highly recommend a 339, it can rock like les paul and spank like tele, I'm sure the 336 is awesome as well. Good luck!

XKnight

I've owned both and currently have a 339. They are both excellent guitars and the tone is very similar to my ears. Personally, I'd get a 339 simply because they are the best bang for the buck. Both guitars are very well balanced and very light. My 339 is under 7 pounds and I believe the 336 was also.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
There's a huge price difference between the two. The 339 is reasonable under $2k. The 336 is thousands.

bbarnard

More neck shape options on a 339 too. I believe the 336 only comes in the slim 60s neck (which I personally hate). 339 has the 30/60 and fat 50s neck options.

Trending Topics