Gibson ES 339 scratch plate

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by iMatt, Jul 19, 2008.

1. iMatt

iMatt Member

Got myself an ES 339 last week - antique sunburst. Very pleased with it - but pretty much the first thing I did was take the scratch plate off because I think it looks so much better that way. Now I am left with a little hole underneath the bottome edg (not such a problem) and a little but unsightly hole by the neck. What do people do - try and refinish this or just stick a screw in it (might help if the scratch plate had been fitted with black rather than silver screws)?

I can't help wonder why Gibson fit the scratch plate rather than pack it separately and leave it to the user to decide (as they did with my LP standard) - the Guitar was mail order and am assuming the dealer didn't fit it as I would be annoyed about that).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Most people just leave the holes alone. There really not noticible. You could color it in with black nail polish (try at your own risk), but I would just leave them as is.

Oh yeah. Great guitar. I've had one for almost 9 months. Plays great and sounds wonderful. The quality is just top notch. I have the caramel burst, just buetiful.

[​IMG]

3. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Use the silver screw or buy a black one. I think many pickguard screws will fit - check Stew-Mac or similar small parts supplier. Personally, I think the guitar looks better with the pickguard on it - all of Gibson's semi-holows are shipped with it attached, AFAIK.

4. iMatt

iMatt Member

Would post a picture of mine with scratch plate removed, but haven't posted a pic before and can't quite see how its done. The insert image option seems to require the pic to saved on-line somewhere. What should I be doing?

Ah just found it in the FAQ section - will try this out, probably tommorow as going out for a curry now - priorities you see.

5. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

I took mine off and left it....

6. \DARKMETL/

\DARKMETL/ Member

I think most of us take the plate off and put the screws back in?

7. iMatt

iMatt Member

With any luck below should be a couple of pics of mine with scratch plate
    removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Sweet, looks just like mine :AOK

Kick ass guitar, huh ???? ;)

9. iMatt

iMatt Member

Great guitar - seems to turn its hand to anything, well to the limited extent that I can. Enjoying it even more than I hoped I would. Got mine with a 50's neck - wasn't able to try it first (mail order) and have a slim 60's neck on my LP Standard so was a bit uncertain I had done the right thing until it came. Feels very comfortable and adds to the whole different experience I get switching between this and the LP.